Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Personnel from South Africa in the air services

josquin

I am Beverley Howe, my father Earl Patrick Howe (born 26th March 1933) in Bremersdorp Swaziland. All I know is that his father was in the RFC and his name was Charles Howe (either born on 23rd June ? or died on 23rd June ?) Charles Howe was married to Susanna Magdalena when my father Patrick Earl Howe was around six years old they (grandmother, my father and his sister - Maureen) moved to Johannesburg as I think my grandfather (Charles) died in the war. My grandmother Susanna died in June 199? Sadly my father passed away 1st January 1999 in Barberton, South Africa.

My father married Jeanette Elsie Lillian (nee Fourie) on 3rd December 1959 and from their married they had four children:

Robin Ernest Howe (born 29th May 1960), Hilton Ivor Howe (born 17th February 1962 - died 15th May 2005), Charlemagne Childerley (nee Howe) (born 23rd June 1963), and me Beverley Howe (born 17th April 1965).

I would be grateful if you could please let have any details as to whether "Swazi Howe" - "Lt Percy Frank Charles Howe" is related to my side of the Howe family.

Look forward to hearing further from you.

Bev,

I received an email today from P.F.C. "Swazi" Howe's daughter. She said that her father, James Henry Howe, did not have

any brothers or relatives named Charles Howe. They found a reference to a "C. Howe" who attended a meeting of

white settlers in Swaziland, in May, 1887. That passing reference is all the Howe family has found with respect to

Charles Howe (or "C. Howe"). She also mentioned that her father was from Natal prior to Swaziland; she did not know

if he was born there or only lived there, but she suggested that looking for birth records in Natal may be informative.

With regrets that the enquiry took so long, I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Trelawney

• 9 years later...

I have been searching for Swazzi (that was how my grandfather spelled it).  My grandfather, Len Richardson, was in 74 Squadron with Swazzie. They were friends. I always wondered what happened and why they didn't keep in touch, as my grandfather did with 'Dixie' Kiddie and other. I guess it was because of Swazzie's untimely death. I am writing up my grandfather's war material and also, my other grandfather's since both were in the RAF (one RFC the other RNAS).  So many S. Africans served - now I know why. Thanks you Sarai - and I would love to be in touch!