Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cranstons of Haddington, Scotland

big stu

Stuart,

Have you made enough posts,on the Forum,to be able to access the personal message facility to contact Alf direct?

If you are unable to access,I'm happy to contact him on your behalf.

Just leave a request on this Thread.

George

Stuart,

I got the message from George. I have just added details under 'SCOTTISH SERVICE RETURNS ...' in the Soldiers section. please let me know if you require any further information.

Regards,

Alf

Alf has confirmed that the William Cranston I was pursuing was the wrong one!

This is what I recently discovered from other new-found family members.

William, born 20 January 1884 at Market Street, Haddington, Scotland. Service No. 689368. Unit 7th Seaforth Highlanders. Rank Private. Severely injured in battle with the loss of fingers & eye through bullet wounds. Invalided out of the War. Died 15 April 1957 and buried at Lauder Cemetery, Scotland.

Could anyone confirm these records please - especially the service No.?

Stu

Re William Cranston this seems likely to be your man I have attached his medal card which indicates that he served as 2142 with Seaforths before being transferred to the Labour Corps and serving as 689368 , he also is listed as having an entitlement to the SWB which fits in with his disability.

John

post-12171-1237637919.jpg

John,

Thanks heaps. You and others are amazing with the instant replies, which include images of actual documents from the Great War. Now that I have the bare bones of these lads' service, how would I go about filling in the story, especially when I'm in Sydney.

• 2 months later...

May I continue to ask for your collective indulgence and assistance.

I am confused about one of the brothers who was wounded. He appears to have a number of service numbers. Can anyone offer an explanation?

George Mclean Cranston (b. 30 9 1892) Joined the 8th Royal Scots. No service record available. However, Medal Record reveals following notations . . .

8 R. Scots (rank) pte and in the Reg. No. box is the number 1069

MSG 152862

S. Rifles 315555

R. Fus GS/112004

In the action taken section there is a "X" followed by the word "transferred"

Qualifying date 5.11.14

The only other piece of information is that there is the number 15 before both the S. Rifles and R. Fus. in the corps box.

Can a person possibly have four service numbers?

Hi Mel

The 15 indicate he was in the 15th Battalion Scottish Rifles, a Home Service Battalion, which might reflect on the state of his general health after he was wounded, I dont know about the Royal Fusiliers pehaps someone else can assist.

The 5/11/14 indicates he was one of the original members of the 8th Royal Scots (TF) as this is the date they arrived in France as a regiment, one of the first Scottish TF regiments to serve overseas.

His transfer to the Machine Gun Corps would have been in 1916 when a job lot of men were transferred to the Corps on it's formation, this is probably whom he would have been wounded with.

It was entirely possible for a man to have multiple service numbers particulary where he was wounded and away fron his unit for a lengthy period, the chances of him returning to his original unit were slim and he would go 'into the hat'.

John

I am in broad agreement with John's post, the only part I think that is likely to be different is that he went to the MGC via the 15th Scottish Rifles. His high MGC number indicates a later transfer (late 1917/early 1918?).

Cheers,

Stuart

• 10 years later...

hi stu, this is a longshot but i stumbled upon you posts re the cranstons whilst searching knox institute in the 1930's where my late mother attended. you've probably, during your research found that a book was wrote about the cranstons 6-7years ago. "blood on the thistle". my mothers middle name was cranston, her mother was annie, married to james, annie is mentioned in the book.

rob who you mention in one of you posts is still alive in haddington, i've recently been in touch with him.

ray