Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens own Cameron Highlanders

EnEssCee

Hi,

Helping out the mother in law (honest!)

m/i/l has an ancestor by the name of BALI in her family tree, I have done a search through my SDGW cd and found,

Private Thomas Bali S/12417. 3rd Battalion QoCH. born Rutherglen Glasgow. died 02/11/1918 (home)

The Scottish connection fits, as does the surname, is the S/12417 his service number?

are there any people with an in depth knowledge of this regiment that can shed any more light?

I am hoping to go to TNA in a couple of weeks, and shall be putting it on my to do list!

Regards, and thanks,

Nigel.

Hi Nigel

Ancestry has a Medal Index Card for Thomas BALL. Regt. No. S/12417. Cameron Highlanders Entered France 3.1.15. Awarded British and Victory Medals Ref Roll No G/103 B5 Page 226 and 15 Star Ref G/2 B Page 20. Died 2.11.18.

Regards Barry

PS I think you hit the wrong key --BALL not BALI --EDIT No you didn't SDGW Surname BALI.

It is BALL in the original CWGC registers.

If this is wrong documentary evidence will be required to amend it. MICs & SDGW contain too many errors to be reliable on their own.

It is also possible that he used the name BALL in the army thus explaining the use of the name by CWGC and the MIC.

Many thanks to the "Inspector" and Terry Denham for the replies, so much for typing errors! which can be a pain! I tried a wildcard entry on my SDGW cd, on just the surname Bali, and was suprised (now disappointed) with the result.

My mother in law is researching a RAM BALI in her family history, it turns out he served in the Great War (somewhere) and when the war finished he went/returned to France to become a doctor, he returned to England and moved to Scotland where he married a local lass, that is where the trail goes a bit cold.

This explains my initial excitement at finding a Scottish Bali, as I don't think there could be many people from the Indian continent "up north" at that time.

Regards to all,

Nigel.