Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monthly 'Great War' Art Thread

Landsturm

Basic Guidelines for the Monthly 'Great War' Art Thread (MGWAT)

- All members of the Great War Forum are allowed to join MGWAT.

- Thread is entirely voluntary. Member can participate when ever he/she chooses to.

- In the beginning of every month, a volunteer participant names a subject or a ready title, thus "starting the month". His/her own participation in the thread is voluntary, although encouraged.

- The same title can be used only once, but some subjects can be used with minor variations (good example; "November 11th, 1918", "Armistice", "The End", "End Game"... etc). The list of the past titles can be found here and it's up-dated as MGWAT keeps going on.

- It is allowed to put up several entries, but only one is allowed in the poll (see below), so the participant has to name the one he/she want to include in it.

- Although there's a one-per-person rule (explained above), submitting several works is allowed if they form a complete series. This should be noted, and the whole series is added in the poll as "one".

- The deadline is at the end of the month. 2 extra days can be given in cases where participant is still willing to participate and his/her work is still in progress.

- The month's "starter" is also encouraged to create a poll, called "Pals' Favourite", in the end of the month or in the beginning of the next. If, for some reason this can't be done, it should be mentioned so that someone else can create it. Due the wide range of art with different medium and style, "Pals' Favourite" should be a "multi-choice" poll and anyone in the forum is allowed to vote, including those not participating in the MGWAT. Instructions for poll can be found here.

- The basic idea is to have fun with sharing and seeing Great War-related art. For example; paintings, drawings, graphics, comics, photography, sculpture, modelling, typography (traditional, digital or mixed-media are allowed) and literature (poetry or prose).

- All submitted artwork must be by the participant him/herself. Art thievery and copyright violation are not tolerated. Penalty for this is being Shot at Dawn.

- For all entries the copyright stays with the submitting Forum member. As for commercial dealing with the entries, the member should hold a one year prohibition from date of posting.

Questions and suggestions can be send to Landsturm.

---

Regards,

Tuomas

- For all entries the copyright stays with the submitting Forum member. As for commercial dealing with the entries, the member should hold a one year prohibition from date of posting.

To clarify, you own the work, but agree as a condition of posting, that you will not sell, publish, or agree to sell or publish for a term of one year from the date of posting. This is to prevent MGWAT from turning into a means of selling art.

This is a change from the previous flat prohibition on commercial use.

Can you clarify on "publishing" please?

Does this mean published commercially or published on other websites foc.

Received a note:

Squirrel raises a good point about "publishing". It is easy to say "no commercial publishing", but do we want to have an exclusive for other internet posting? We could abbreviate it to six months (or less) for internet posting which is not commercial. After all, MGWAT entries really have a currency of about 6 weeks tops.

In this case I would already be breaking this rule, since I have every one of my entries in my DeviantART-gallery (I haven't sold any of the pieces I've done for MGWAT).

Some of my latest works will be featured as panels in a complete graphic novel (comic book), I'm currently working on. This however means that I'll be waiting at least one year before trying to get it printed and published. Maybe "financial" would be a better term? Help me out, please.

I only asked because a friend, another of those that I share my poems with, has put one of my poems on his website. The poem is four years old and he saw it shortly after I first produced it; it only appeared on the MGWAT about six months ago after appearing on his website a short time before. There is no commercial interest in this.

So, do we have to state if the piece of work has been published previously elsewhere as well as agreeing not to use it for commercial purposes for 12 months after it appearing on the MGWAT?

Sorry if this raises another question Lands but clarification would be a great help.

Personally, I'd exempt non-commercial use on websites, but a "cooling-off" period (assuming that the MGWAT is the first posting) might be in order.

Gentlemen, being new to MGWAT I would like some clarification myself. I have seen the warning at the top of this and every thread in this section, and, obviously, this must apply to visual art only i.e. it would be nigh-on impossible to "sell" literary art through this thread; who would purchase poetry or prose when it can be readily accessed by anyone and everyone who wants to read it? Whereas an original/print of a visual piece is a different matter altogether.

I assume the moderators give this warning and I understand and agree with their misgivings - but as far as I can see that is the only restriction placed on this thread. So two questions:

1) Are the Guidelines posted by Landsturm the work of moderators?

2) If not, by whose authority have they been posted?

I'm afraid, things such as this (onerous rules and regulations, and the pedantic, nonsensical debates that always seem to flow from them) do nothing but turn me off; they are, in my opinion, counter productive and ultimately divisive. If, as I suspect, the only "rule" applicable to MGWAT is the one posted by the moderators at the top of this thread then I humbly suggest that it is left at that, and that alone.

Cheers-salesie.

I only asked because a friend, another of those that I share my poems with, has put one of my poems on his website. The poem is four years old and he saw it shortly after I first produced it; it only appeared on the MGWAT about six months ago after appearing on his website a short time before. There is no commercial interest in this.

This is fine by me. What do others think?

So, do we have to state if the piece of work has been published previously elsewhere as well as agreeing not to use it for commercial purposes for 12 months after it appearing on the MGWAT?

Again, fine by me. Others? "Cooling-off" period as Michael put it :)

And Salesie, you have a point. I don't want admins to think that the dangerous underground group called MGWAT is trying to hijack the Forum.

The rule was Chris Baker's, as far as I know. I'm not sure the Moderators have turned their mind to it. I don't quarrel with Chris's call, but I do think that a total ban on subsequent sale may not be called for.

To speak plainly, tMGWAT is regarded as an inviting place to try out ideas and encourage people to have a go.

Not a showroom for selling work.

That said, I'd love to acquire some of the artwork posted here, but I have taken account of the rules, and will not enquire as to the availablity of some of the work.

Let's not get bogged down in too much mumbo jumbo. If you post it here, don't make money out of it for at least a year.

Wonder what Spike would think of all this?

Kim

I'd love to acquire some of the artwork posted here, but I have taken account of the rules, and will not enquire as to the availablity of some of the work.

Let's not get bogged down in too much mumbo jumbo.

To all MGWATs (esp. Ozzie),

If anyone would like a print of my work for free, just PM me.

Regards,

EoB.

To all MGWATs (esp. Ozzie),

If anyone would like a print of my work for free, just PM me.

Regards,

EoB.

The Earl is a true gentleman readers.

'Frohe Weihnachten' looks great on the wall.

:D