Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Rozee

Paul Reed

Through the magic of the 1911 census, I managed to track down a lot of information on my paternal grandmother's family which has always proved somewhat elusive. To cut a long story short, it has resulted in finding a great uncle who died in the war that I had no idea about. Just posting this here hoping in case there is any additional info, or if anyone has his medals/memorial plaque etc. Maybe it will be picked up in a Google search one day?

I have all the usual material: MIC, SDGW etc.

His details are:

Name: ROZEE

Initials: F (Frank)

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 24/10/1918

Service No: 29910

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: On South side.

Cemetery: MONCHAUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Cemetery: MONCHAUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: unspecified

Location Information: Monchaux sur Ecaillon is a commune in the department of the Nord, 12 kilometres south west of Valenciennes. The Communal Cemetery is situated behind the church, and the Commonwealth war graves plot is sited near the right hand side of the path, near the centre.

No. of Identified Casualties: 9

Well done Paul, these unknown relations keep popping up here and there.

Andy

According to the Hampshire Regt's Depot Numbers book, 29910 was one of 5000 allocated to the 3rd Echelon France circa July 1916. The Echelon gave reinforcements one of these numbers. So I would only guess that your great uncle served with another Regiment before being sent to the Hampshires as a reinforcement.

Roger

Thanks Andy and Roger - Roger, yes he served with the 10th Londons (Hackney) before that it seems. That info is most welcome, thank you.

Paul,

The BWM & VM roll for Pte Frank Rozee confirm overseas service with the following units:

780594 10/Londons

205600 4/Royal Fusiliers

29910 11/Hants (Pioneers)

29910 1/Hants

An analysis of surviving service papers close to Pte Rozee's Hants regtl no. provide the following detail:

29923 Pte Herbert Leslie SCOTT (Omnibus Cleaner from Manor Park, Essex)

04/11/16 Enlisted Stratford E.London

05/11/16 Posted London Regt

05/11/16 100th Prov.Bn (attached?)

01/01/17 Tran. 29th London Regt

23/12/17 Base Depot and posted 4th Royal Fusiliers

27/12/17 Tran. and posted 11th Hants

29931 Pte Henry WINCH (Clerk from E.Dulwich)

11/12/15 Attested

09/06/16 Mobilised

1st overseas service:

10/12/16 Embarked Southampton

11/12/16 Disembarked Havre to 7th Infy Base Depot

16/12/16 Joined 1/13th London Regt (field)

04/01/17 Wounded in action

14/01/17 To England

2nd overseas service:

17/08/17 Tran. 29th London Regt

21/12/17 Embarked for France

23/12/17 Etaples and posted 4th Royal Fusiliers

27/12/17 Tran. and posted 11th Hants

29945 Pte Alfred Edward ASHBY (Pawnbrokers Salesman from Greenwich)

17/02/16 Attested

18/02/16 To Army Reserve

08/11/16 Posted 4th T.R. Bn (Wimbledon Depot) joined from AR Class B

07/12/16 Tran. 100th Prov.Bn (Guildford)

01/01/17 Tran. 29th London Regt

23/12/17 Base Depot and posted 4th Royal Fusiliers

27/12/17 Transferred and posted 11th Hants

Not an exact science, but based on the above it appears likely that Pte Rozee was posted to 4th Royal Fusiliers at Etaples 23/12/17 and four days later on 27/12/17 transferred and posted to 11/Hants. At some point after this he was transferred to 1/Hants. As Roger has indicated his Hants Regt number is one of the 5000 allocated to the 3rd Echelon France circa July 1916.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the Regtl History and 1/Hants War Diary covering the attack at Monchaux on 24th Oct. 1918.

I'll let you know if I uncover anything further on him from a Hampshire Regt perspective.

Marc

Wow! Thanks for all that Marc. That's fantastic!

I do have the regimental history, but not the War Diary.

Do you have a record of all surviving papers? I am presuming his hasn't survived then?

Do you have a record of all surviving papers? I am presuming his hasn't survived then?

Hi Paul,

Based on several hundred searches for Hampshire Regiment men I've never found a surviving service record in WO363/4 for a Hampshire Regiment fatality (killed in action, died of wounds or disease etc). I have better luck where they ended up in other units or died of illness/wounds post discharge.

A check of WO363/4 and the PIN sources at Kew for Pte Rozee is certainly worth undertaking but be prepared for a disappointment. I have checked Ancestry already but with no success.

For non-fatalities I do have a good cross-section of surviving service papers but I'm a long way short of having them all. It all helps to inform the regimental database under construction.

If you can drop me a PM with your e-mail address I'll send you through the relevant 1/Hants War Diary pages as attachments.

Marc

Thanks Marc - I must say I have found a similar thing with Royal Sussex men, although occasionally they are there.

PM on its way.