Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd batt Seaforth Highlanders

BSH

Hi All,

This is my first posting on this site; I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm researching my grandfather, a pte Donald MacKay of the 2nd Batt Seaforth Highlanders. I have his papers from the PRO and the battalion war dairy from May 1917 to November 1917.

I'm after any information about the Battalion during these dates. Particularly the battalion strength (the war dairy only shows "wastage").

Also is it possible to find out which company he served in.

I have also posted another query on the “soldiers” section regarding some other details.

Thanks for any help,

Barry.

Dear Barry

Some years ago I did some research on 2nd Seaforth Highlanders for the 1916-17 period in particular the attack on Roeux in which they were badly battered on 11th April 1917. I am afraid I found very little about other ranks at all other than for fatal casualties although the officers are quite well documented. I presume you have tried the regimental museum at Fort George? Although they don't seem to have very much on ORs it is worth a try. What I did get was from all sorts of documents like officers papers that mentioned ORs for one reason or another, the old comrades magazine, etc. I am afraid a name like Donald MacKay is unlikely to make things easier in a Highland battalion.

It is quite likely that men were from time to time moved from company to company. If I remember the battalion was reorganised after 11th April into 2 companies such were the casualties. By May and the capture of the Chemical Works they were down to about 60 effectives used as mopping up parties. If your grandfather got through that lot he was a very lucky man. I cannot throw any light on his transfer as a brigade observer although the very detailed divisional intelligence summaries produced in the war must have been the result of somebody keeping a very close eye on the German lines, a task probably not restricted to officers. I am sure there is somebody out there who can help on that one.

Sorry not to be more helpful but if you come across any source on 2nd Seaforth ORs I would be interested to know as well.

Regards and good luck

Alastair Fraser

thank you Alastair

My Grandfather got to the Battalion on the 14th May. He was slightly wounded in July in the Rouex area (whilst attached to the 526 field co RE). so he missed most of the heavy fighting in that area. But he was involved in some heavy fighting in October 17, up in the Ypres area.

I have e-mail the museum at fort George ( mueseum@thehighlanders.com &

rhqthehighlanders@btopenworld.com) on the 11th march, but as yet I have not heard anything.

thanks

Barry

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Barry,

If you tell me his serial number I will tell you what I know about him.

Ken.

p.s. there were 63 Donald Mackay/Mckay's who served with the Seaforths in W.W.1. (and two officers also).