Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals and Hospital blues

celiatoo

I have a photo of my grandad taken at an English hospital c1917 after he was sent home blinded by gas. The group of patients are wearing hospital blues. Some have different coloured lapels to others on the jacket. Can anybody tell me what the difference is? Also I believe this hospital may have been in Woking surrey can anybody tell me whether this may be right?

Thanks Celia Couzins

There's no significance to the variations other than manufacturer. Hospital Blues were predominantly pretty rough ,basic suits and quite often mis-matched between jacket and trousers. Some had thigh length jackets, others finished at the waist. Some were darker shade than others, and some were of rougher material than others. As you have seen, some had lapels the same colour as the body, and others were lighter. There are many variations of this "suit" ,and, as far as I know, there is no significance whatsoever.

Dave.

With regard to 'hospital blues' I was interested to come across this item in the local Deanery Magazine. It refers to a Norfolk village - Woodbastwick - where the Hall was used as a VAD Hospital:

"November 1915

The Commandant and Staff wish to thank those who have so nobly come forward to help in the laundry work of the Hospital. The washing has been greatly increased by the Government order of blue clothing for the patients. This difficulty has been largely overcome by the ready help of (nine ladies named) who have undertaken to wash suits in their own homes"

Does this mean that this clothing was officially introduced in November 1915 or would this have been the date that it arrived in this neck of the woods? Any ideas?

Hi Celia

Just noticed this post.

I asked a similar question with an attached picture in Home & P.O.W.

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10489

It seems as though the uniforms are quite different.

Kate