Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Canadian Division Supply Column

Northern Soul

Was the 3rd Canadian Division Supply Column a single entity or was it composed of 4(?) Companies as was the Divisional Train? If the latter, does anyone know what these Companies were?

Similarly, when the 3rd Canadian Divisonal Supply Column merged with the 3rd Canadian Ammunition Sub Park in April, 1918, to form the 3rd Canadian Divisional M.T. Company, was this new unit subdivided and, if so, what were the constituent units?

Cheers.

Andy.

Hello Andy.

Divisional Supply Columns and Ammunition (sub) Parks were each single ASC Mechanical Transport companies, and were at first L of C units, later Corps Troops.

The DSC and DAP for 3rd Canadian Division were 724 and 725 Cos ASC respectively. In Feb/March 1918 they were amalgamated as you know, and retained the number 724.

I don't know how the new unit was subdivided but it seems likely that it was, as the vehicles might not be fully interchangeable and APs had a small artillery detachment for the care of the ammunition. Also, normal supply functioned on a regular basis whereas the work of an AP would have been dependent on current ammo needs at the front.

Ron

Ron,

That is excellent. Just one more question - what would have been the correct designation of 724 Company - was it Army Service Corps or Canadian Army Service Corps i.e. in terms of allocation of unit numbers was the CASC effectively just an offshoot of the ASC, allowing the numbering of such units to be inclusive (if you get my meaning :huh: )?

Andy.

Andy

According to Mike Young's definitive book, "Army Service Corps 1902-1918", the company retained its place in the main ASC numbering, although for both 724 and 725 he adds "(Canadian ASC)" after the unit type.

Although the Canadian Divisions almost always fought together as a Corps, it does not follow that all its units, particularly the supporting services, consisted of Canadian personnel "badged" with the maple leaf. The Canadian Corps Signal Co, for instance, remained a unit of the RE Signal Service. There was a general tendency to give Dominions units new or subsidiary titles which reflected their allocation, but it was not invariably so.

The Canadians had two Heavy Batteries and twelve Siege Batteries of heavy artillery. All of these were numbered in separate sequences with "Canadian" but all, except 10-12 SBs, were originally numbered in the main RGA sequence.

Ron

My grandfather enlisted in the 3rd Divisional Supply Column, but was boarded before embarcation. Some of his unit I've researched ended up in widely dispersed units, including the Motor Machine Gun Corps, where a number of M.M.s were won.

One was Cleveland Melville Brooks: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=479407