Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Jager Uniform Query

James H

I suspect that this might be a chestnut, but I'm trying to determine whether Jager and Schutzen regiments retained their green-grey uniforms throughout the War.

I know that (apart from Bavaria) they were in green-grey in 1914, and it seems that the 1915 uniform was issued in green-grey as well as field grey. Does this mean that they retained the distinction even after the Stahlhelm became universal? I've read several accounts, but they're a bit hazy on the subject.

Anyone help?

MfG,

JH

(PS: Sorry, Umlaut not working on this PC)

Hi my grandfarthers jaeger uniform (27th battalion) was issued in 1916 in green grey, we still have his jaeger helmet and it's cloth cover is green grey.. We have photos of him in field grey too.

War Ministry Order No. 1/17 g. B3, dated February 6, 1917, stated that the men of Jäger- (Sturm-) Bataillon Nr. 3 were to wear the Jäger uniform.

Thus we know that the Jäger uniform was issued until at least February 6, 1917.

Thank you for your kind replies, gentlemen. It seems, then, that the green-grey remained in service until late in the War. I wonder whether some or all were replaced by feldgrau by the end.

Most grateful for your help.

MfG,

JH

Hi JH!

The Jäger Schützen uniform was intrduced in 1907 as a grey-gfreen uniform. Bavaria wore their field-grey uniforms.

The prussia uniforms had light-green pipings, swedish cuffs, yellow buttons and the guards yello double-"Litzen".

The Jä#ger bataillons from Saxon (N° 12 and 13) had german cuffs, white buttons. The batallion 14 (Mecklenburg) had white buttons too and white double-litzen.

The shoulder straps had light-green pipings, but the officers shoulder boards had scarlet base.

Tnhe Schützen had light-greenb pipings too, but with black cuffs and collars. Their field cap got a black stripe instead of a green one.The also had french cuffs and yellow double-Litzen.

The uniform 1915/16 was a littler bit darker, by a grey-green coulour. Bavaria stayed by the field-grey uniform, but now they had light-green shoulder straps with a yellow bataillon-number.

So, to come back to your question. They retained their uniform during the war.

Cheer from Germany

Hi my grandfarthers jaeger uniform (27th battalion) was issued in 1916 in green grey, we still have his jaeger helmet and it's cloth cover is green grey.. We have photos of him in field grey too.

Guessing you have roots in Finland?

Guessing you have roots in Finland?

Yes got lots of roots in Finland, and my grandfathers original Jaeger uniform is in a museum in Riihimäki.