Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines in the Dardenelles

Asturian Rose

I am a newbie to this site & I can´t see a link that might help me. nyway I have a diary that my grandfather (who was in the Royal Marines) wroote about his time in Gallipoli & the Dardenlles. I am writing this into a book form to include his life leading up to the campaign & afterwards.

I am hoping someone can help me with a few things or point me in the right direction.

First of all He mentions a place called Hilid-Bahr. It looks like Hilid but I cant find any reference to a place name like this. Any ideas?

He also says he was convelesance at the Coradino Hospital in Valleta Malta. Any info on this hopsital welcome.

Thanks

Ros

Welcome to the Forum, I am sure you will find all the help you need here. How fortunate you are to have a diary of your Grandfather's time in the Royal Marines. I look forward to hearing more about it.

I am wondering if Halid-Bahr is in fact Kilit Bahir, but I am sure those with detailed knowledge will be along to help you.

Good luck in your research

Cheers

Shirley

Ros - to really understand your Grandfather's diary you should think of making a trip to Gallipoli. A chap called Len Sellers, who wrote the history of the Hood Bttn, does a very good and reasonably priced trip, his tours take in the whole battlefield but has special emphasis on the R.N.D. I have no financial interest in these tours but I have been with Len on several occasions - Len had an Uncle (Great?) who was killed at Gallipoli and amongst the "tourists" on each trip there has been descendants of R.N.D. men that served at Gallipoli, which helps add to the interest of all, sharing of photos, copies of diaries, letters home etc.

Regards,

Jonathan S

A warm welcome to the GWF

quote: a place called Hilid-Bahr. It looks like Hilid but I cant find any reference to a place name like this. Any ideas?

He also says he was convelesance at the Coradino Hospital in Valleta Malta. Any info on this hopsital welcome.

Kilitbahir is the small town on the Gallipoli coast at The Narrows

(the narrowest point of the Dardanelles channel [just 1,250 metres across] and therefore called by the Turks the 'Lock of the Sea')

The castle there was built in the late middle-ages, but nevertheless it and its out-works were "at the heart of the Turkish defence" (per a Turkish guide book) and as such, they came under fire from the allied fleet on 18th March 1915

Sorry I cannot help with the hospital,

though I suspect that it is correctly Corradino (with two 'r's)

Try a specific enquiry under 'Other Theatres'

Good luck

Michael

Ros

I think that you should be looking at Seddul-bahr , now a village but in 1915 a

Castle/Fort just to the East of V Beach.

Some , including myself interpret Seddul-bahr as the "Gate of the Sea" as it is the

entrance to the Dardanelles and as rightly mentioned earlier that Kilit=Bahr is the

"Lock of the Sea" as it stands at the Narrows opposite Canakkale.

With regard to the Royal Marines , I would presume the he meant Seddul-Bahr as none

of the Allies , either from Anzac or Cape Helles reached Kilit-Bahr.

The furthest North , that is up the Peninsula in that Sector , that I have seen Royal Marines

commemorated is at the Redoubt Cemetery which is about a mile south of Alcitepe (then called

Krithia)

Hope that this little helps

Peter

With regard to the Royal Marines , I would presume the he meant Seddul-Bahr as none

Peter,

I think that you will agree, that in the first instance, it will help if we can learn whether or not this man served on land, or at sea

Not all the RM involved in this campaign served in the RND; some were on board ship

regards

Michael

I am a newbie to this site & I can´t see a link that might help me. nyway I have a diary that my grandfather (who was in the Royal Marines) wroote about his time in Gallipoli & the Dardenlles. I am writing this into a book form to include his life leading up to the campaign & afterwards.

I am hoping someone can help me with a few things or point me in the right direction.

First of all He mentions a place called Hilid-Bahr. It looks like Hilid but I cant find any reference to a place name like this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ros

Dear Shirley

Thanks for this. I think it could be as others think so too. I will investigate further. Thanks.

Ros

Ros - to really understand your Grandfather's diary you should think of making a trip to Gallipoli. A chap called Len Sellers, who wrote the history of the Hood Bttn, does a very good and reasonably priced trip, his tours take in the whole battlefield but has special emphasis on the R.N.D. I have no financial interest in these tours but I have been with Len on several occasions - Len had an Uncle (Great?) who was killed at Gallipoli and amongst the "tourists" on each trip there has been descendants of R.N.D. men that served at Gallipoli, which helps add to the interest of all, sharing of photos, copies of diaries, letters home etc.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan

I have planned to make a visit. Could you give me contact details for Len please, Thanks for sharing.

Ros

A warm welcome to the GWF

quote: a place called Hilid-Bahr. It looks like Hilid but I cant find any reference to a place name like this. Any ideas?

Kilitbahir is the small town on the Gallipoli coast at The Narrows

(the narrowest point of the Dardanelles channel [just 1,250 metres across] and therefore called by the Turks the 'Lock of the Sea')

The castle there was built in the late middle-ages, but nevertheless it and its out-works were "at the heart of the Turkish defence" (per a Turkish guide book) and as such, they came under fire from the allied fleet on 18th March 1915

Sorry I cannot help with the hospital,

though I suspect that it is correctly Corradino (with two 'r's)

Try a specific enquiry under 'Other Theatres'

Good luck

Michael

Ros

I think that you should be looking at Seddul-bahr , now a village but in 1915 a

Castle/Fort just to the East of V Beach.

Some , including myself interpret Seddul-bahr as the "Gate of the Sea" as it is the

entrance to the Dardanelles and as rightly mentioned earlier that Kilit=Bahr is the

"Lock of the Sea" as it stands at the Narrows opposite Canakkale.

The furthest North , that is up the Peninsula in that Sector , that I have seen Royal Marines

commemorated is at the Redoubt Cemetery which is about a mile south of Alcitepe (then called

Krithia)

Hope that this little helps

Peter

Peter

Many thanks for this info. It´s a great help. He does mention something about Redoubt.

Thanks for sharing.

Ros

Peter,

I think that you will agree, that in the first instance, it will help if we can learn whether or not this man served on land, or at sea

Not all the RM involved in this campaign served in the RND; some were on board ship

regards

Michael

Michael

I do stand corrected on that point as I always tend to think of the RND fighting as Infantry in

the Gallipoli Campaign.

At times I also tend to forget the 300 strong Royal Australian Navy Bridging Team at "D" (Kangaroo Beach)

in the Suvla sector.

Peter