Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

311th Brigade RFA

Roger H

Roger

Many thanks for your offer. I will pass it on to the family when I send my report. How is it best to contact you other than this public forum?

Graham

Dick, Thanks for that information, it is good to have extra background material. G

Graham

I will send you a personal message with my e mail address

Roger

GNH

Gunner Scott was killed in action on the 19th October during the final advance. He was in my Grandfather's B Battery. The Battery was passing through Flines-Les Raches when there was an "explosion" - the cause of which I do not know. Accoring to the book "Plough and Scatter" - A diary-journal of a First World War Gunner (J.Ivor Hanson edited by Alan Wakefield) ISBN 9781844257171: "Gunner Scott, quite a young fellow is one of the victims. The civilians were terribly shocked and took the bodies into their houses which we visited in the evening, to see for the last time our dead comrades lying in candlelit bedrooms". This explains why William is buried in the churchyard.

The other Gunner to die was Guinner Percy Loveday. The account above cannot be quite correct because he actually died of wounds and is buriued some kilometres away in Brebieres British Cemetery. My conclusion is that William Scott was killed outright but Percy Loveday received medical treatment some way from the village before dying - hence being buried some way away.

Here is a photo of William's headstone - courtesy of the War Graves Photographic Project. If you think I can be of further help, please let me know. And by the way, what is your particular interest in William Scott?

Looking at the details of Percy LOVEDAY on CWGC site it appears that he was buried at Raches Communal Cemetery, Flines les Raches (against west hedge) but was exhumed and reburied at Brebieres in August 1935. William SCOTT on the other hand is logged as being buried in the Churchyard (near south hedge of new part). So may be SCOTT was already buried in a 'proper' recognised area and LOVEDAY was not (a communal cemetery) and was reburied at Brebieres, along with about 20 others from various locations around the area. See entry for Brebieres on CWGC site for list.

Thanks for that - it now becomes more clear!

Roger

• 3 years later...

My maternal grandfather served in WW1 … 311 A.F.A. Bde. (T) R.F.A. 

James Garlick

Gunner

Badge number 363120

Enlistment date 13-Nov-1911

Discharge date 14-May-1918 (wounded, survived)

Subsequent to discharge, James Garlick married, had ten children and died in 1965. His eldest daughter is 97yrs old and still living but is unsure of where her father served during the Great War.

Would love any information on his army service and where he saw action /was wounded.

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum Jacqueline,

His number signifies a pre-war member of 1st West Lancashire Brigade RFA TF. It looks like his discharge unit was from 311th Army Field Artillery Brigade RFA which was the second line of 2nd West Riding Brigade RFA TF. So sometime during the war, and after the January 1917 TF renumbering, he was transferred away from his home unit.

In fact, I've just found his full record on Findmypast, so it would be worth checking that website or Ancestry. His main unit was B/275 (1/2nd Lancashire Battery - Liverpool) but he joined A/275 on October 4, 1916 and was only in D/311 from April 1917. There are War Diaries at the National Archives that can help you with the movements of these two brigades at the times he was with them.

• 1 year later...

I have been going through some of my grandfather's papers. He was a driver in the RFA, with two numbers- TF781114 and later 122137. He has signed his active service prayer book as G Wingfield 6225 "E" Sect? Sub? (not clear to me) "A" Battery 311th Brigade RFA. His obituary stated that he served in France and Belgium. I have only been able to view his medal record online at Kew. Is anybody kindly able to point me in the direction of finding out more about his service record? Many thanks.

Marion

Welcome

781114 is certainly a number that was allocated to 311 Brigade RFA (TF) in 1917. No Service or Pension record seems to have survived. The War Diary of 311 Brigade RFA (It was an Army Field Artillery Brigade from 1917) can be obtained free from the National Archives. The reference is WO 95/205/9. You will need to set up an account, but it is easy to do just visit the National Archives site. Please come back if you need any assistance.

The number 6225 is confusing. Can you please post a picture of the page.

Brian

Service record for George Gallagher is not disimilar- started as 143302 (No1 TF Artillery Training School), changed to 6231 then renumbered (TF renumbering 1917 ?)781120.

ditto William Keele 143312 to 6233 then 781121

So can I suggest that:

Wingfield might have started at No1 TF Artillery Training School with number 122137 in v early 1916

Then posted to a TF Battery and renumbered 6225 in c July1916

Then when the TF were all renumbered in 1917 he was given 781114

One for @David Porter to pronounce on ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Thank you both so much for the information about his numbering and the specific link at Kew which I'll definitely follow up. Here is the photograph at the beginning of the prayer book.

IMG_8516.JPG

This was a transfer to 311th Brigade RFA around July 4 - 7, 1916.

122137 denotes someone arriving at No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich, around January 8, 1916.

The 6225 number only existed for 6 months before he was renumbered (again) 781114.

"E" Sub-section was the fifth gun (of six) in "A" battery, 311th Brigade RFA.

6 minutes ago, David Porter said:

122137 denotes someone arriving at No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich,

thanks for that David.

I had not previously realised until looking at this man's numbers that on posting to an RFA TF Brigade that an RFA man would be renumbered. Was this generally the case ?

Charlie

Yes Charlie, it would be be common for Regular transfers to TF up to around mid-December 1916. After this time they were regarded as attachments with no number change. 

Thank you to all for your assistance and especially to David for his clarification. I wanted to know more because he never talked to anyone about his war experiences when he returned so I shall be interested to read what there is in the National Archives