Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Joseph Hurst, KLR?

stegfish

I am looking for any information about Joseph Hurst. He was born on 5th July 1897 and fought in the Kings Liverpool Regiment I believe but I don't know which battalion he served with. He survived the war but lost a leg and I am having real difficulty trying to track down his regimental number and anything more about him.

Joseph was the son of James Joseph Hurst, a fish curer and his wife Catherine who were living in Chorley, Standish in the 1901 census with Joseph shown as 3 years old.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Tracey

Tracey

There are two to choose from in the Medal Index Card database WO372/10 at Kew.

1) Private Joseph H HURST 269553 (this number was issued to the 7th Battalion),you can get an image of the Medal Card from the National Archives Catalogue for 2.00,the Image reference is 128627/19226,and,

2) Corporal Joseph HURST 306366 (this number was issued to the 8th Battalion). Image reference is 128538/19211.

Someone here might provide your Medal Card free from Ancestry UK if they have a subscription and are nice kind persons (of which there are a few).

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate! Thank you so much for your help - I didn't know where to start and really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction!

Best wishes

Tracey

There were four Joseph Hursts who served with the Liverpool Regt and who have Medal Index Cards:

Joseph Hurst (15203, Royal Lancashire Regiment & 49423 Liverpool Regiment) - KILLED IN ACTION

Joseph Hurst (306366, Liverpool Regiment) - an 8th Battalion number.

Joseph C Hurst (797, Lancashire Hussars & 300457, Liverpool Regiment) - He was entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal, so he must have been serving in 1914 when your Joseph was only 11.

Joseph H Hurst (269553, Liverpool Regiment) - a 7th Battalion number. No Star awarded according to the MIC and quite a late 7th Bn number.

Can you say he definitely did not have a middle name?

Ken