Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunners Uniform Markings

islesman

He wears one would stripe....for one wound and above that the crossed flags of a qualified signaller.

On his left arm he wears service chevrons for the number of years served overseas, each representing one year service.

He wears one would stripe....for one wound and above that the crossed flags of a qualified signaller.

On his left arm he wears service chevrons for the number of years served overseas, each representing one year service.

Thanks for that info.

Would overseas chevrons be given for sevice overseas past 1918?

Would overseas chevrons be given for sevice overseas past 1918?

Yes, although I'm not sure of the cut off date,

Jon

And his regiment is Royal Artillery. Can't say from this whether Field, Garrison or Horse.

And I'm not sure, but if there is a tonal variation between the lower chevron on his tight arm, then this could refer to service in 1914 (red) and subsequent (blue) years service overseas...

Peter

And I'm not sure, but if there is a tonal variation between the lower chevron on his tight arm, then this could refer to service in 1914 (red) and subsequent (blue) years service overseas...

Peter

The lowest chevron appears lighter and perhaps wider than the other 3.

Rob

As red has the highest chromatic value of all the colours it appears almost black in black and white photos, hence it's harder to see than the blue, which has a much lower chromatic value, (sorry for the colour theory lesson )

Ian Underwood wrote that from a previous thread. If your man did indeed serve with the Old Contemptibles of 1914, his bottom cheveron should be red. The exposure at the bottom of the photo however makes identification of the colour difficult.

Do you have his service records? Do you know if he was an Army Regular prior to the war?

Ian Underwood wrote that from a previous thread. If your man did indeed serve with the Old Contemptibles of 1914, his bottom cheveron should be red. The exposure at the bottom of the photo however makes identification of the colour difficult.

Do you have his service records? Do you know if he was an Army Regular prior to the war?

I've looked it every way but the bottom chevron still looks lighter. I couldn't find any service record and my Mother doesn't believe he was a regular.

Rob

I'm afraid it will be impossible to tell based on the aging at the bottom. Do you have a date for the photograph?

No date I'm afraid. I'm trying to get more information from his remaining children.

Is it possible to get an idea of enlistment date from his serial number?

If you have his name, we know his unit, and you have a service number, then you should be able to gain information from his Medal Index Card (available on line at the National Archives, or, in more detail, Ancestry.co.uk).

I think the red stripe is a definite maybe, in which case, he would be at least entitled to a trio of medals, maybe even a 1914 star, who knows.

Cheers

Peter