Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Gloucestershire May 9-10, 1915

rhimsl

While doing some research regarding a 2nd Gloucestershire casualty(Pte. George Walker #9071) I found that SDGW lists him and 38 other men and Lt. Col. George Tulloh as KIA on May 10, 1915. The "Official History - Militiary Operations France & Flanders" states that on May 9, 1915; "In an unsuccessful counter-attack to recover an advanced flanking trench, Lt. Col. Tulloh and 40 men of the Gloucestershire were killed and 90 wounded." What date is the correct one? The 9th or 10th. Also, just to verify does anyone know for shure if Lt. Col. Tulloh was in command of the 2nd Gloucestershire. Or was it another Gloucestershire Battalion? Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Robert

Hello Robert

Although not a definitive answer the 27th Division War Diary reports on the 9th May 1915 "....81st Brigade report that about 3.30.p.m. enemy succeeded in occupying about 150 yards of trench in salient of wood J.18.c & J.19.a. Gloucesters lost very heavily including ALL their senior officers in counter attack"

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi Robert

I am not going to say for sure that Soldiers Died is wrong but here is an example that I have come across.

When I first started researching the Shropshire, I started by listing all those killed/Died of Wounds by date. While doing the 5th Batt. I noticed that Soldiers Died had listed 33 men killed on 8-4-17 and two died of wounds on the 9th, for those who do not know the first day of Arras was on the 9th and the 5/K.S.L.I. went over the top on that day. So I was very puzzled how the above could be correct but I did nothing about it at the time because CWGC also listed all 33 as killed on the 8th. Then one day a chap relied to a letter I put in the papers asking for info. on K.S.L.I. chaps, he told me that his grandfathers was one of those who were recorded as killed on the 8-4-17 but he throught this a mistake, he also told he that he had been trying to get the date changed without succuss. I told him that I agreed with his line of thinking and about the 32 chaps with the wrong dates. He then went back to the CWGC with the extra info. and they looked into the matter and agreed the date of death for the 33 chaps was incorrect.

There are other examples of this type of mistake but I have not had the time yet to look into them.

Plus if an attack takes place late in the evan for date can somtimes be recorded as the following day.

Regards

Annette