Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some painted helmets from my collection

scottmarchand

Hi everyone,

In celebration of sorting out a photobucket account I thought I'd post a few images of a few of my more interesting painted helmets. The first is an RAMC 47th Div ( I think) the fascinating thing about this one are the, what I presume to be initials of the owner, in crossed bones under the rear brim. I have not been able to decipher themt o my satisfaction, which way is up? Any ideas?

ramcoutside.jpg

ramcbadge.jpg

ramcdivflash.jpg

I can't say (from the other thread) what the initials are, but thank you for posting these pictures, and please do show us more. It's always good to see particularly nice items from other people's collections.

That is a very nice helmet. I have a liverpool pals one not as good as yours but nice .

Dan

Looks a lovely piece. I do like RAMC stuff. Am looking for a RAMC helmet myself as I have a tunic to go.

TT

Nice helmet. I assume thats the saw dust none reflective finish? I have a Lincolnshire Regiment one myself.

Hiya.

Consensus seems to be that they used cork dust.

Anyone verify that for me?

Ta,Dave.

Consensus seems to be that they used cork dust.

Howard Williamson says sawdust in a bowl and also the consensus of the BBC, "The Great War" programme.

Thats what the experts say but I think this one looks more like sand.

Perhaps a stupid question, but how is the cap badge attached to the helmet? Fantastic looking piece, looks like you've quite a nice collection and thanks for the photos of your helmets. :rolleyes: