The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

rifle brigade G S Berry

Hi after having lots of help about one grandad wondered if anyone could help with the other one all I know he was born about 1895 at Bethnal Green but was living in Hackney when WW1 started

He joined up as soon as possible after war started in the Rifle Brigade and was discharged in 1917 I dont think he was wounded but have heard rumours he was buried alive and suffered shellshock hoping someone out there can help or put me on right track thankyou for reading janet

sorry forgot to put his name george s berry

Janet

Worth trying to see if he has a service record on Ancestry UK,and get his Medal Index Card from the same source,then you might get his Battalion and Regiment.

Sotonmate

Janet,

There is a 2nd MIC for him showing what SWB List he is on and the dates of joining up and discharge.

Andy

post-1871-1233003756.jpg

Janet,

He was in the 7th Rifle Brigade and was discharged due to wounds. Going overseas with the 7th RB in the 14th Division on 19/5/15 and was issued Silver War Badge # 155006.

Andy

OK reading the first post again I see that he was, my apologies. If you would care to send me a pm with your e-mail address I will send you his medal rolls and Silver War Badge Roll, will also have a look through the 7th RB material I have to see if we can find a date for wounding, however these lists are not as comprehensive later in the War than the earlier dates.

Andy

Janet,

It looks like he was wounded a couple of times. I have a reference to him being wounded on the 24th July 1915 whilst in D Company, the 7th RB were at Hooge at this time with the War Diary refering to:-

"8.00am A small mine exploded by the Germans left of crater, barrier destroyed and trench cratered. Succeeded in rebuilding barrier. 9.30pm S.O.S. message from crater. It appears that the Germans have built a new trench 15 yards beyond the crater and started a bomb attack on the trench we captured. Our guns opened fire very quickly and we responded also with bombs, the attack ceased."

In the December 1915 Nominal Roll he appears as on the strength of D Company. Will have a look to see if there is anything else a little later.

Andy

Janet,

I cannot find any further reference to any more wounds suffered by him.

Andy

Janet,

I will e-mail these bits and pieces over to you.

Andy

• 4 years later...

Hi Andy - have come late to this forum discussion but note that you list 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade as one of your interests. Am trying to establish the Companies of 3 men who were casualties of the 24 hours action at Hooge Crater on 30th July 1915 when flame throwers were used against them. Do you have any resources which would indicate Company designations or can you guide me to other sources of information for this? Doug

Hi Doug,

The 8th RB is a bit of a passion of mine and after years of digging about I am still coming up with more and more information.

What are these mens names Doug as I have a reasonable amount of data regarding the Companies the men were in.

Andy

Hi Andy - thanks for responding so quickly. The 3 men were:-

Rfn FRED CORKERTON B/2522 kia 30/7/15*

Rfn HECTOR NAYLOR B/2521 dow 15/8/15 received 30/7/15*

Rfn WILLIAM CUSTANCE B/3064 kia 30/7/15

I have checked their service papers, local newspaper reports and obituaries, places of commemoration, etc but nothing indicates their Company designations. I also have 4 other men who I believe survived the action on 30/7/15 but were killed at later dates and for whom I have the same problem:-

L.Cpl CLAUD ALLSTON B/2523 kia 15/9/17*

Sgt FRED DRIVER B/724 kia 26/7/16

Rfn HARRY(HENRY) DOWNING B/2526 kia 20/9/17*

L.Cpl FRANK MASON (14400?) kia 15/9/16 * I believe these 4 men were pals who enlisted together

Andy, any help or guidance you can offer would be much appreciated. Doug

Doug,

Fred Corkerton was in "D" Company.

Hector Naylor also "D" Company

William Custance was in "C" Company

Claud Allston was in "D" Company

Fred Driver was in "B" Company

Frank Mason was in "D" Company

The four you think were pals and enlisted together could quite well be, they were all from Colchester and of the same age.

Can't help with Downing, but will go through a few other bits of material I have collected on the 8th to see if we can id his Company.

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy this is great but how did you know? What reference did you consult or is it just things you have gleaned over the tears? Much appreciated - Dog Rowe Sorry Years (or perhaps it was the appropriate word?)

Doug,

Some is material I have amassed on the 8th over the years, some from casualty lists and for Hooge they come from an Officers record which is somewhat different from the battalion casualty lists. In December 1915 Vic Couper (OC 14th Division) ordered a complete nominal roll of those serving in the Division at the time, so one came from there, his Company was also confirmed in a casualty list so he had not moved Companies presumably until his untimely death.

Still looking for Downing.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks for all this Andy; much appreciated. I am researching a number of Rifle Brigade men and no doubt more than these 7 men enlisted in the 8th Battalion and were later posted to other Battalions after e.g. convalescing from wounds. So I may well beg your help again at a later stage if that is OK with you. Do you know of any location in the UK or on the Western Front where there is a memorial specifically to the men of the 8th Battalion? - Doug