Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allenby's Army

Guest ljcole

My grandfather Pte Arthur Cole served with the 1st Batallion Scottish Rifles throughout the war. He did however serve in Egypt and witnessed the British Army's last Cavalry charge and the fall of Jerusalem.

From the research I have done I find that his batallion never left the Western Front. Information available on the infantry units serving in Egypt and Palestine is sketchy. Can anyone tell me where to look to find out the regiments and batallions who served under Allenby and more specifically the units involved in the fall of Jerusalem.

Thank You

Laurence

Laurence

I suspect that your grandfather served originally with the 1st Battalion but was subsequently transferred, perhaps after being wounded, to one of the regiment's territorial battalions. Two of these served with the 52nd Division in Palestine during the Great War, the 1/5th and 1/6th if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,

Jim

My grandfather was indeed wounded - sometime in 1915 by gas. He was blinded for six months and it was after this that he was posted to Egypt. He returned to the Western Front and his war ended after receiving machine gun wounds a few months before the Armistice. Would he have returned to the 1st Batallion back on the Western Front or remained with his Teritorial Batallion?

Thank you for your information it is greatly appreciated.

Laurence

I think that the main participants in the capture of Jerusalem were the 53rd (Welsh) Division,backed up by the 60th (London) Division.Their components can be seen on the main site,but neither contain any Cameronians(Scottish Rifles) battalions.

Incidentally, the bns serving in the 52nd Division were the 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th Cameronians (the 1/8th being your most likely candidate),but I don't think that that the 52nd Division was involved in the fall of Jerusalem.

Dave.