Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

MotherMave

v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml) } v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml) } Dear Forum Members,

I have cut and pasted these passages from an email from my friend in Canada, who is desperate to find the British Unit that her Uncle joined.

[/font]"""Tudor* enlisted in Wales in World War I, but served with the Princess Patricia Light Infantry (Canadian company), which was attached to a British division. I can only assume he died during the battle as shown below.

*(Tudor Foulkes HUGHES) was born in Rhyl, but had emigrated to Canada earlier.

The Second Battle of Ypres

Early in 1915, the first Canadian troops arrived in Europe to serve with the British Expeditionary Force. In April, the Canadian 1st Division took up position in the front lines northeast of the Belgian town of Ypres, beside an Algerian division of the French army. As it happened, this was the spot the Germans had chosen for their next attempt to break the Allied lines.

The Germans launched their attack on April 22, 1915. They began their assault by releasing a cloud of chlorine gas, the first time that lethal gas had been used in warfare. The gas cloud rolled over the Algerian troops, who were suffocated or fled in terror. This opened a four-mile hole in the line on the Canadians' left flank. The Germans advanced through the gap, but Canadian units were shifted over to contain the damage. A series of desperate counterattacks, including Canadian assaults on Kitcheners Wood and Mauser Ridge, managed to stabilize the line. On April 24, the Germans launched another gas attack, this time directly at the Canadians. Despite having only clothes wetted with water or urine tied over their mouths as a defence against the lung-searing gas, the Canadian infantrymen stood their ground. For a week, the fighting see-sawed around Gravenstafel Ridge and the village of St. Julien, as the British and Canadians fought tenaciously against overwhelming odds. In the end, the Germans failed to break through. Most Canadian troops were pulled out of the fighting by April 26, but one battalion -- the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, which was attached to a British division -- served through to the end of the battle in late May. """

I do hope that someone may be able to help, although I have posted a similar request about the PPCLI before, but I don't know if it was with this particular forum. Many thanks in advance for any help. MotherMave :unsure:

IIRC they fought alongside the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regt who were in the 27th Division

As said the PPCLI were part of 27th Division under the command of Major-General T D O Snow. I have a few shots of some headstones of PPCLI men who were killed in early 1915, which I think are possibly some if not the first PPCLI men killed, seeing as they did not land in country until late Dec 1914.

27th div was in the line when the Germans launched the attacks in April 1915 and used Gas for the first time in any great quantity. I think many of the men were actually ex British service men or civilians who had emmigrated to Canada and returned to the flag.

I can not find any Hughes as above in CWGC? is the name correct? there is a Hughes of the PPCLI named.

regards

Arm

I checked the Nominal Rolls we have here on the PPCLI and there are 5 Hughes listed but none by the name of Tudor Foulkes Hughes or anything similar.

There is no such person with that name with a Canadian Attestation Paper, although there is one similar (John Tudor Malcolm Hughes) that is a Veterinarian.

Likewise there are no men by this name or anything similar on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial.

Can you please confirm the name is correct.

Grandson Michael will have the master list from HW if he is watching!

There is an extremely detailed account of the war experiences of the PPLI called 'Tapestry of War' by Sandra Gwyn. ISBN 0-00-638034-4. I have to confess that the detail was so much that I gave up after 180 pages, but it states 'on November 16, the Patricias were detached from the Canadians and posted to a camp just outside Winchester, where, along with four battalions of British regulars just back from India, they formed a brigade of the 27th Division. A poem written at the time by one Captain Ambrose of the CEF records:

'In the morn when we arise

There are but the rainy skies-

And the mud

Nine inches deep it lies,

We are mud up to our eyes,

In our cakes and in our pies

There is mud'

I checked the 1991 Canadian Census - no such person although there is an Evan Foulkes Hughes born in 1897.

I also checked Newman's text on the PPCLI and there are 2 Hughes KIA:

Private Hugh Stanley Hughes 1539 (original PPCLI)

Private William Thomas Hughes 739403 (from 114th Battalion)

Dear Forum, What an amazing lot you are, you have already helped me once today on another of the Forums and that was amazing, now again you have surpassed yourselves. I am going to send your replies to my friend in Canada to see what she says, although I know the name is right. Tudor had other Brothers, all born in Rhyl and emigrated to Canada, however I have just retrieved an email from her and have cut and pasted here below:-

""Tudor Ffoulkes Hughes (Tudor Hughes - one and the same) was never in Canada. He was born in Rhyl, enlisted in Rhyl for the South-African War and again for World War I. The reason it is confusing is that he was with the Princess Patricia Light Infantry during World War I. Whatever regiment he enlisted with in Wales merged with the PPLI when overseas (which apparently was not uncommon). ""

So if you are right then we can look up the Cambridge Division, we might just find him. Thank you all so much for your prompt replies and I do hope this may help us get through the brick wall!!!!!

Kind regards, Mave

The reason it is confusing is that he was with the Princess Patricia Light Infantry during World War I. Whatever regiment he enlisted with in Wales merged with the PPLI when overseas (which apparently was not uncommon).

If that is true, it is news to me! I think this was suggested elsewhere not long ago. I have never heard any mention of this - that being the merger of a British unit with the PPCLI.

At least now we know why we could not find him in Canada! :o

Hi MotherMave

Your friend may have got her wires crossed or the family have over the many years since the end of the war. Do not know if you have followed the link to The Long Long Trail but if not here are the other Battalions of the 80th Brigade:-

2nd Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (I have datebase of most men who served with them and could not find a Tudor Foulkes Hughes or Tudor Hughes, also the Shropshire and Pats tended to relieve each another and so were not in the line at same time, exsept for 8th May when a few K.S.L.I. platoons went up with suppies and stayed to help them hold their second line after front had been shelled to bits.)

3rd King's Royal Rifle Corps

4th King's Royal Rifle Corps

4th Rifle Brigade

He may have belonged to one of the above and fort long side the Pats but not with the Pats.

Annette

See this thread on the CEFSGF. Cheers, Michael

Brilliant Michael! I knew it "rang a bell" but I could not find it anywhere here on the GWF. Never thought of looking on the CEFSG.

Makes me wonder why we were once again sent off on this hunt?