Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaford Camp

Arthur J

Before going to the front the 36th Division spent some time at Seaford camp (from July 1915)

Can anyone confirm the location of the camp, and are there any photographs available, especially the divisional church parade on 18th July 1915 when communion was celebrated by the Lord Primate of Ireland

Hi

The 11th serv.Batt. South Antrim Vol.posted in July to Seaford Camp I believe this was in Sussex ? and then posted to Bordon Camp in Hampshire.

google Friends` school lisburn Archive World War One

all the best Gary.F.

From a list I found, the OS grid reference is given as TV 485995, which is East Blatchington.

I can't find anything else that confirms it though.

Phil

That reference is not far off Seaford North Camp Phil, I think it was a little more NE, there was also Seaford South Camp to the SW nearer to the coast which I believe the Canadians that were stationed there called it Chyngton Camp.

There's some painting of the camps here (scroll down to Seaford)

Jon

The North Camp is probably the one that Arthur is looking for Jon. As you say, the South Camp was the Canadian Camp.

I'm not sure how the area has been developed, but a lot of the road names between Alfriston Road and Eastbourne Road have Chyngton in them, so was the North Camp the other side of Alfriston Road?

Phil

Phil, I can only find 2 references to North Camp (3 including your post above) 'the area around what is now North Way housed the vast camp of Seaford North Camp'. The other does actually say Seaford North Camp nr East Blatchington. It may be worth contacting he local museum which is housed in the Martello Tower, hopefully they'll have some ground plans of the camps,

cheers, Jon

Hi there

Thanks for replies, did not realise there were two camps in Seaford.

Going by the general locations in your replies I am coming down on the side of the South camp. I am basing this due to comments in a letter written by a private in the Royal Irish Fusiliers he refers to getting a letter from his wife and taking it onto the cliffs to read. and the same man in a letter sent just after the division first arrived in Seaford refers to the beauty of the area, watching the ships in the channel, and that they were bathing in the sea at night. Although he does not mention distances there is nothing to imply it was any great distance.

I will also try contacting the local museum as suggested.

In respect to the Divisional church service this man refers to it having been held in a natural amphitheatre on the golf course, and again to the south of the town is Seaford Head golf club.

Again if any forum members have any details on this it would be appreciated

Arthur J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks to the replies received so far. However I have now been given a photocopy of a letter written home, which was on headed paper with the regimental crest and the address is clearly shown as Chyngton Camp.

I am still interested in finding photographs of the Divisional Service held in July 1915 and conducted by the Lord Primate

post-4332-1233861112.jpg

Guest Kevsussex

Arthur,

"Chyngton Camp" and "South Camp" were one in the same. In the early years it was also called "Kitcheners Camp" It was to the east of Seaford to the west of where Chyngton Road now lies, adjacent to the Golf Course.

The YMCA was opened at the South Camp in April 1915 and was described by the local paper as "one of the largest in the country" I have no figures for the YMCA hut but the "Rally" in the North Camp had 137,000 visitors during 1917 (The Rally was an amenity hut run by the women of Seaford)

I would be interested in any information about Seaford. The attachment shows the YMCA hut where your letters were written. It is the large hut on the right and has YMCA in huge letters on the roof.

Kevin Gordon

Seaford Museum

post-30550-1234039815.jpg