Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Member of liverpool scottish attached to an entrenching Bn

puddlemuddle

Hello all,

My Great uncle (one of them) that enlisted into the 10th Bn (scottish) was first assigned (but not transfered) to an Entrenching Bn for a while before being sent back to his unit the 1/10 Bn (scottish). My question is would he have retained his 10th Bn insignia while assigned to the Entrenching Bn or would have worn something different until being sent back?

Cheers,

Chad

Chad,

It depends what the "Entrenching Bn" was, but I rather think that yes, he would have kept wearing his !0th Bn badge if only temporarily transferred.

J

• 2 weeks later...

I was interested in your post. My G Grandfather, Robert Henry Kneen, Pte.359315 Livpl. Scottish, joined the 1/10th battalion on an unspecified date in August from an unspecified entrenching battalion (from company roll held by Liverpool Scottish Museum). He had arrived in France 3rd June 1917.

The Regimental history (by McGilchrist 1930) records drafts of 7 officers and approximately 500 men joining the Regiment in August 1917. It would appear that your relative, together with mine, was one of these men.

I was interested to see the casualty card you published indicated that your man left the Infantry Base Depot on the 3rd of March to go to the 9th entrenching battalion and onto the 1/10th on the 9th of August.

I'm trying to get a feel for how long things tooks for a recruit to pass throught the various stages to get to a fronline unit. unfortunately your scan is very faint. What date is your man shown going to France? (so I can get an idea how long he was at the IBD), what was his name and number?

As he would appear to be a contemporary of my great grandfather I would be interested if you could say what other posting entries are on your man's casualty form - Bobby Kneen's is quite sparse on detail.

It is intriguing for me to see that you have the "9th entrenching battalion" detailed - it is quite likely that this would be the unit that my great Grandfather also went to

regards

I was interested in your post. My G Grandfather, Robert Henry Kneen, Pte.359315 Livpl. Scottish, joined the 1/10th battalion on an unspecified date in August from an unspecified entrenching battalion (from company roll held by Liverpool Scottish Museum). He had arrived in France 3rd June 1917.

The Regimental history (by McGilchrist 1930) records drafts of 7 officers and approximately 500 men joining the Regiment in August 1917. It would appear that your relative, together with mine, was one of these men.

I was interested to see the casualty card you published indicated that your man left the Infantry Base Depot on the 3rd of March to go to the 9th entrenching battalion and onto the 1/10th on the 9th of August.

I'm trying to get a feel for how long things tooks for a recruit to pass throught the various stages to get to a fronline unit. unfortunately your scan is very faint. What date is your man shown going to France? (so I can get an idea how long he was at the IBD), what was his name and number?

As he would appear to be a contemporary of my great grandfather I would be interested if you could say what other posting entries are on your man's casualty form - Bobby Kneen's is quite sparse on detail.

It is intriguing for me to see that you have the "9th entrenching battalion" detailed - it is quite likely that this would be the unit that my great Grandfather also went to

regards

Manxman,

I am in the process of desiphering everything, because according to his records, he was temp transferred to the 9th Entrenching Bn on March 3, 1917 and then back to his unit (which I do not know if at this time it was the 3rd reserve bn or the 1st Bn) on Sept 8, 1917, however it states that he did not arrive in France until November 2, 1917, which would indicate that he went overseas as a replacement directly into the 1st Bn (weather or not he was assigned to that Bn before or after he arrived in France I do not know). I am waiting for another reply from Ian at the museum as I am in the states and cannot get there. I will let you know when I get a response.

cheers,

Chad

P.S> His name by the way was Noel Joseph Heckle number 358976

Manxman,

I am in the process of desiphering everything, because according to his records, he was temp transferred to the 9th Entrenching Bn on March 3, 1917 and then back to his unit (which I do not know if at this time it was the 3rd reserve bn or the 1st Bn) on Sept 8, 1917, however it states that he did not arrive in France until November 2, 1917, which would indicate that he went overseas as a replacement directly into the 1st Bn (weather or not he was assigned to that Bn before or after he arrived in France I do not know). I am waiting for another reply from Ian at the museum as I am in the states and cannot get there. I will let you know when I get a response.

cheers,

Chad

P.S> His name by the way was Noel Joseph Heckle number 358976

Also, I think there is an official typo somewhere because his casualty for clearly states taht he left no 24 IBD which was in Etaples, France, but I don't know why it would state this and then state that he didnt arrive in France until November 1917, his military history sheet says Home Service 10-23-1916 to 10-02-1917, and France 11-02-1917 to blank......more deciphering to do I guess....

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,

Chad

Have a look at his Medal index card, either through National Archives, or Ancestry websites. This will give his entitlement date (date arrived in war theatre, in this case France). Perhaps he returned to UK after this initial date - perhaps he had fallen ill/injured, etc. Have a fiddle with you scanner settings and repost the causalty card, I'm sure someone on this site with greater knowledge than you or I will be able to decipther the record.

regards

Chad,

Are you interpreting dates the American way? In the UK 11 February 1917 would be 11/02/17; we us dd/mm/yy so today is 06/02/09. I think that in GA USA that will read as 2 November 1917 as you generally use mm/dd/yy. We have this confusion with the terrible events of 9/11 which in the UK would be 11/9 but for the specific purpose of the Twin Towers we refer to 9/11.

He went to 1/10 KLR (the Liverpool Scottish) on 9 August 1917, not the 8 September!

Was it Winston Churchill who said we were divided by a common language? No, I've just looked it up - it was George Bernard Shaw

He definitely left the UK in February 1917 as his name is in the Liverpool Scottish draft book, unless he ran out of the other end of the railway station at Oswestry.

Ian