Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Hurlock

Signals

Hi All,

does anyine have any info on this chap for why he won the DSM, London Gazette 20-10-14? He would have been at the Heligoland battle on submarines, he later died on the E30.

Hurlock Henry, Able Seaman, Torpedoman, Official №238126, born on the 8th of April 1890 Alton, Hampshire, Portsmouth Rating.

Cheers DB.

There are medal rolls for the DSM in ADM 171/61 and ADM 171/75 which sometimes give some more details. The orriginal recommendation file can usially be found using the ADM 12 indexes.

Have you read the dispatches that accompanied his award?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/289...upplements/8501

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28949/pages/8510

Hi Darren,

He was one of twenty three D.S.M.s awarded:-

"The following awards have been made in recognition of the services mentioned in the foregoing despatches". LG 23.10.1914.

The despatches are from Field-Marshall French & Major-General Paris to the Secretary of the Admiralty covering the operations of the Naval Brigades around Antwerp from the 3rd to the 9th October 1914.

The Distinguished Service Medal 1914-1920, by W. H. Fevyer.

David.

Darren, some details re L/S HURLOCK ;

HURLOCK HENRY LDG SEA P/ 238126 DSM RN SM E.30

22.11.16 Z 26 080490 F

Commemorated PORTSMOUTH 12 - 4 - 290

Son of James Hurlock of Headley ; husband of Rose Elizabeth Hurlock, of 33 Testwood Rd., Southampton.

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 423. AG 1211 / 16.

P.o.B ; Alton, Hants. Occ ; Garden Boy.

Awarded Distinguished Service Medal London Gazette of 20.10.14.

Sadsac

The despatches are from Field-Marshall French & Major-General Paris to the Secretary of the Admiralty covering the operations of the Naval Brigades around Antwerp from the 3rd to the 9th October 1914.

No they are not, the despatches include those of Commodore (T) RY Tyrwhitt, Commodore (S) Roger Keyes, and Commander CDR Samson RNAS. See the London Gazette links above and scroll back to the previous pages. If he was a submariner, Keyes' dispatch is probably the most relevant.

No they are not, the despatches include those of Commodore (T) RY Tyrwhitt, Commodore (S) Roger Keyes, and Commander CDR Samson RNAS. See the London Gazette links above and scroll back to the previous pages. If he was a submariner, Keyes' dispatch is probably the most relevant.

Sorry, my mistake, quoted the wrong part of the book.

David.

Hi All,

thanks for that. I found a little note recomending him for the DSM, (no reason though), and he is listed on the sub E8 in this note. His papers changed over from Dolphin to Maidstone on the correct day as other known E8 men just to confirm he was an E8 man. He obviously left just prior to her going to the Baltic, going to E30. I'm planning a trip to the Nat Archives this year, so will do more hunting then. I have never been there, distance issue, so are you actually able to look at a rating's papers? I have so many to find and with some common names and no number the only way to find them would be to pyhically look?

Also another note, this is in relation to Sadsac's post, the added details taken from the War Graves site often list either wife or parents. When were these details optained? As i can see many wives have remarried, so i guess they were not compiled at the time of the death?

Cheers DB.

Just a little historical note, his DSM was in the the first Gazette where they were issued. Compair that with the MM that took another 2 years to arrive!

The original file for the recommendation, which will be held at Kew, will probably have more details; this could be it: ADM 137/551 Heligoland Bight, 28 August 1914. If it is not then you will have to use the ADM 12 indexes, here's the research guide. It is a labourious process, but you will get the actual recommendation. That file will probably also contain a copy of the letter you have.

The Registers of Seamen's Services are searchable and available online, or you can dwnload them for free at Kew.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

Name Hurlock, Henry

Official Number: 238126

Place of Birth: Alton, Hampshire

Date 08 April 1899 [this must be a transcription error as it usually means date of birth and as, according to the catalogue, he joined the Navy in 1907 there's an error somewhere!]

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Here's some other files at Kew you might be interested in. These are original documents and you'll need a readers ticket to view them, as you will for the ADM 137/551 file.

ADM 1/8391/286 Cruiser engagement in Heligoland Bight 28 Aug. 1914, new gun sights and Director proposed. All HM Ships in the engagement to have commemorative inscription painted in gold letters 1914

ADM 1/8404/438 Information obtained from captured German Naval Officer after the Heligoland Bight action

Thanks for that will hopefully have some fun over there, and hopefully will go to the St Petersburg archive,

you picked up the error in his birth, i had sent the archives this correction the other day and they have agreed to change it. He was born in 1890 and not 1899, the problem is he has Hants as his birthplace and the t from this crossed the 0 and made it look like a 9. I pointed out he would have been 8 years old when he joined if born in 1899. They have agreed to change this in the next few weeks.

But well spotted.

Cheers DB.

As i can see many wives have remarried, so i guess they were not compiled at the time of the death?

Not sure about sadsac source, but I understand that the CWGC data was compiled in the 1920s.