Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Death of Pte Fredrick Fraser.

kevin

At some stage i am going to have to get the cheque book out and buy the CD, but a wive and three very large children seem to take up all my spare change so i will have to ask some kind soul again if there could do alook up on the Great War Died CD.

I came across this piece in my local paper dated 14/1/1918,and i got side tracked again.

The death occured to-day of Pte Fredrick Fraser aged 19 of the West Yorkshire Regiment and it goes on to say how he was killed whilst practising Rapid loading with dummy cartridges but some how a live cartridge had got among the dummies, and he was killed instantly.But i can not find him on the CWGC site? His home address given in the Middlesbrough paper was 7 Ash St, Oxerthorpe, Keighley.

Regards Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Found the following Pte. 59030 Frazer, Fred of 4th West Yorks. Born Oxenhope Yorks. Enlisted Keighley Killed accidentally in U.K. on 14/1/1918.

Regards

Annette

Thanks

will look in my date base(ha ha) for 4th Batt West Yorks that ones still on paper as is most of the others.

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin again

Just looked at CWGC and found Pte Frazer, Son of Bertram George and Ada Frazer, of The Lamb Inn, Oxenhope. He is buried at Keighley (Oxenhope) Cemetery, II.Pink.411. (I copied grave ref. letter for letter).

Regards

Annette

Thanks Annette,

Some times when i vist the CWGC site its hit and miss,but after finding the paper data base and trawling throught it i at least came up with the name, but thanks for the grave ref etc, will add that to the info.

Regards Kevin.

Kevin

The problem seems to be the spelling of the name.

You quote FRASER and the respondents on the Forum quote FRAZER.

Many people fail to find names on the CWGC site which are really there. The cause is often a slight difference in spelling. I would advise anyone failing on the first search to try all combinations of spelling and even different initial combinations.

There were often different versions of surname within a family and from one set of records to the next!

Thanks Terry, will put my glasses on and remember that tip for future.

Regards Kevin