Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th bn

billy201

Hi there I am trying to trace Private Wilson McConnell s/n20773 9th bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers I beleave he was killrd on the 1/7/1916. at the Somme. I would like to know when he was born . and when and where he enlisted. and where he was living at the time. thanking you all the best yours Inniskilling B)

From SDGW

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Wilson MCCONNELL

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion etc.: 9th Battalion.

Raised at Omagh in Sept. 1914 from the Tyrone Volunteers and included two companies of Volunteers who had already joined the 5th and 6th Bns. To Finner Camp in 3rd Bde. Ulster Div. 2.11.14 formation became 109th Bde. 36th Div. Jan. 1915 to Randalstown. July 1915 Ballycastle. Early Sept. 1915 to Bordon area. Oct. 1915 to France. 11.11.18 109th Bde. 36th Div. France; Roncq, north of Tourcoing.

Last name: Mcconnell

First name(s): Wilson

Initials: W

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Coatbridge

Residence: Moneymore, Co. Derry

Number: 20773

Date died: 1 July 1916

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Ellie

From CWGC

Name: McCONNELL, WILSON

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 20773

Additional information: Son of John and Elizabeth McConnell, of Ballinanallard, Co. Fermanagh; husband of Sarah Lauchlan McConnell, of Brown's Land, Gartcosh, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Ellie

Hi there Ellie. thanks a lot fot that. that was just great. All the very best yours Inniskilling :rolleyes:

Hi there Tommy. thanks a lot for that . It was just great. All the very best yours Inniskilling :rolleyes:

Wilson McConnell lived in Moneymore per SDGW--Moneymore is a small town near where I was born. He is not on " Moneymore Memorial".

He has been included in the "Cookstown War Dead" book published in October 2007. The information in the book is similar to what has been already posted. Cookstown War Dead Book is based on the present Cookstown Council Area.

Wesley Wright