Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Request

Joe Walsh

Hi Guys,

Could someone be so kind as to post the details of the 1901 census of a Joseph COONAN, born 1873 in Stockport, Cheshire and still residing there. Married to a woman called Edith.

It would be really, really helpful.

Thanks,

joe

This looks like it

Regards Mark

1901 England Census

Name: Joseph Coonan

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Edith

Where born: Stockport, Cheshire, England

Civil Parish: Stockport

Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary

County/Island: Cheshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

Registration district: Stockport

Sub registration district: Stockport First

ED, institution, or vessel: 6

Household schedule number: 26

Household Members:

Name Age

Joseph Coonan 28

Edith Coonan 23

Mary M Coonan 1

David Fielding 40

Agnes M Fielding 37

James C Fielding 8

Actually Mark, thank you so much, you have just ended a family mystery - I couldn't work out who an orphaned child belonged to!

Just to confirm it could you get me John Coonan, living in Stockport, Cheshire born 1880 1901 census and birth record (to name parents), please? His second name is Woodroffe, but that will only work for the birth cert.

I promise I won't annoy you any more!

Thanks so much,

Joe

Actually Mark, thank you so much, you have just ended a family mystery - I couldn't work out who an orphaned child belonged to!

Just to confirm it could you get me John Coonan, living in Stockport, Cheshire born 1880 1901 census and birth record (to name parents), please? His second name is Woodroffe, but that will only work for the birth cert.

I promise I won't annoy you any more!

Thanks so much,

Joe

This is the only John Coonan on the 1901 Census

Regards Mark

1901 England Census

Name: John Coonan

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880

Relation: Boarder

Where born: Stockport, Cheshire, England

Civil Parish: Headingley Cum Burley

Ecclesiastical parish: Burley All Hallows

Town: Burley

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

Registration district: Leeds

Sub registration district: Kirkstall

ED, institution, or vessel: 23

Household schedule number: 66

Household Members:

Name Age

Maria Mann 66

Agnes Hodgson 25

Arthur Hill 26

John Coonan 21

John Hobkinson 27

That great, thank you.

I cant figure out who John Woodroffe Coonan married in September 1907, using the freeBMD index because there are 2 women listed as marrying a coonan in stockport - Margaret Hock, and Mary Lovery. One of these should be the mother of Gerard Michael Coonan, born december 1908...

Is it possible we could find out?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

I have tried and tried but wherever i look it comes up with the 2 names you have suggested for his spouse i.e Margaret Hock and Mary Lovery.

There is a death record for John Woodroffe Coonan aged 29 registered Dec Qtr 1908 in Stockport, isn't this the same month as ( his son) Gerard Michael Coonan was born?

If this is the same person then no wonder i couldn't find him on the 1911 census.

Ellie

If the two women are those shown as being on the same registration sheet for the marriage, the only recourse would be to search on the 1911 for the other named men, to see if their wives could be identified as either Margaret or Mary. Unfortunately that an expensive process at present. The correct wife could then be identified by default, or you could get an absolute confirmation by forking out £7 for a marriage certificate for the man.

I have several hanging queries where I could only settle matters by ordering more birth or marriage certificates, but they do tend to mount up, so I have had to prioritise and leave most of them.

Keith

Joe

I have tried and tried but wherever i look it comes up with the 2 names you have suggested for his spouse i.e Margaret Hock and Mary Lovery.

There is a death record for John Woodroffe Coonan aged 29 registered Dec Qtr 1908 in Stockport, isn't this the same month as ( his son) Gerard Michael Coonan was born?

If this is the same person then no wonder i couldn't find him on the 1911 census.

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

Yes that's John.

Perhaps you would be able to find Gerardin it as im pretty sure he was the only gerard coonan living in england at the time....

thanks

joe

Joe

The 1911 census is coming up with only 5 households with the surname Coonan in Stockport. One of which is a Mary Mildred Coonan but she was only 11 years old at the time. There are some more Coonans in Yorkshire...is this where i should be looking?

I'll have a quick look for the other guy. ( Thomas J O'Brien)

Ellie

Joe

From Cheshire registry:

John W Coonan Married Mary Lovery Stockport Civil Marriage 1907 ref: STR/70/94

Caroline

Thanks guys,

The mystery of the orphaned children's parents is now closed thanks to the information you have given me!

Joe