Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

road poperinge- elverdinge

sabine72

hello,

just to let people know that the road from poperinge to elverdinge (gwalia cemetery and ferme olliver cemetery)N333 will be closed from marsh the second until .... they say 6 weeks if the weather is ok.

to visite ferm ollivier you can always leave the car on the N8 in elverdinge and take a walk on the bycicle path.

for gwalia I guess you can park in poperinge near the civilian cemetery and do the same way. there will be a deviation but haven't seen or heard anything more.

kind regards

sabine

And thank you from me Sabine. I have to visit one of those CWGC's around then so that will help me out also.

Thank you.

Chris.

Iain and Chris,

there are still some to come this year, believe me, there are also plans to do at test this year on the changes around the station they would like to change in 2010

and more roadworks on the dikebusscheweg near the watertower.

there will be woks at messines too this spring.

so we will have fun.

kind regards

sabine

I reckon the time has come to buy a helicopter! :o:lol:

Keep us informed Sabine. It is much appreciated!

Don't worry about Iain. He is always up in the clouds anyway!! :rolleyes:

Best wishes.

Chris.

What is it with the Belgian and French authorities that they actually close roads for such long periods? To the best of my knowledge this does not happen in GB, thank goodness. All this can be extremely frustrating for visitors never mind the poor locals who have to cope with such disruptions. I recall one occasion when roads were closed in the middle of France due to the construction of the TGV line when even the French drivers had no idea what direction to take and families sat in their front gardens with a bottle of “Vin ordinaire” watching the traffic (inc me) go round and around.

Norman

I always imagine it's so that they can put everything into doing the job quicker, in one go, rather than coning off bits of the road for an even longer period and doing it piecemeal. Sometimes it involves new bridges, or even village bypasses, I have discovered once the road has reopened.

I do agree that the diversions are not always very well signposted though. Usually just enough to dump you in some totally unfamiliar bit of countryside, before they peter out. ;)

I hope the improvements to the Steenvoorde to Ypres road were worth waiting for !

Angela

I always imagine it's so that they can put everything into doing the job quicker, in one go, rather than coning off bits of the road for an even longer period and doing it piecemeal. Sometimes it involves new bridges, or even village bypasses, I have discovered once the road has reopened.

I do agree that the diversions are not always very well signposted though. Usually just enough to dump you in some totally unfamiliar bit of countryside, before they peter out. ;)

I hope the improvements to the Steenvoorde to Ypres road were worth waiting for !

Angela

I must say that in the past I have tended to ignore these things and ploughed on regardless; I remember that the Elverdinge - Pop road was closed for ages not so very long ago (maybe ten years?) and I proceeded up and down it with no problem. Not very responsible, perhaps, but the first time I did this I was very keen to get to a cemetery and I thought it was worth the risk; and it was. There was absolutely no sign of a workman anywhere. Obviously I proceeded with great caution!

I am not so sure it gets jobs done quicker really; I imagine lots of us have had experience in the past where some village - like Vlamertinge and Bucquoy - had access routes closed and with diversion signs for months on end

• 1 month later...

The road works have started but you can still use the road for the moment,there are red light neer farm den 'abeleboom

mum and dad live in elzendammestraat and that is closed for the moment too, so canadafarm is only to visite if you take the road from woesten. further then that I didn't go so have no idea what is happening closer to poperinge

I read that there will be some works in hospitaalstraat too but no date.

hope this helps

kind regards

sabine

Thanks Sabine for the update, catching a late ferry tonight and Canada Farm was one cemtery that I had hoped to visit.

Andy

well,

since this morning no car is allowed to enter the road from elverdinge on. not funny at all if you are invited for lunch at your parents. you can still pass as a local if you live there and lunch invitations of course are an excuse.

Will your parents be posting out the luncheon invitations to us all in the near future?

:D

Bruce

well bruce,

I'll ask at lunch time today she is making my favourite flemish stew in tomato sauce with mash potatoes :D

and someone has to take over my turn of cleaning the horse stables :P ( genou is not allowed )so you might be lucky

by the way elzendammestraat is open . and in the bit's and pieces they already removed from the road elverdinge poperinge I saw some train tracks (near cardoen camp)

kind regards

sabine

Is there a map of these road closures on the http://www.ieper.be site (or anywhere else)? I have been trying to find my way around it.

thanks

Simon

Simon,

www.wegenwerken.be

then provincie select westvlaanderen

gemeente select ieperthen click on zoeken

I nearly cried after the husband showed me the site but it is usefull if you do not want to get lost in your own area.

hope you have fun on your trip and I'm sure you will find your way.

I'll try to copie a local map and color the roads you can use.

kind regards

sabine

Thank you Sabine

I have had a look. I don't think I have found 'your' roadworks but found these:

post-1722-1237395378.jpg

post-1722-1237395422.jpg

post-1722-1237395529.jpg

post-1722-1237395549.jpg

The site is not always very responsive but works with patience. Do you know how up to date it is?

best wishes

Simon

One more - is this the N333?

post-1722-1237395739.jpg

Simon,

up to date ? good question, I'm affraid I don't have the answer.

some times we locals are up for a surprise in the morning.

I found it with using poperinge and the joke is the sign is "L" and that means long term planning, well the works are going on, my brother had to stop this morning because He ignored the signs. yep that map is n333

I want to move to spain the next few month's.

regards

sabine

• 3 weeks later...

an up date,

It seems they will make the 6 weeks like planned, I was able to drive on the new topping( the signs are still there but did it anyway :blush: ), hope it will be open again next week.

kind regards

sabine

Ypres-Elverdinge-Veurne road open last Friday as I came back that way from Dunkirk.

What is going on with wing mirror alley? Last Tuesday signs approaching the Steenvorde junction of the A25 indicated it was closed. But on Thursday morning I was heading from Dunkirk and came off at Wormhout/Herzelle heading for Pops via Watou. I was too busy talking to the coach driver and wandered off piste and came out near the Steenvorde junction and the road to Pops was open. It had been re-surfaced on the French side.