Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men from Montenegro

Broznitsky

Whilst researching, I found some Montenegrans (Montenegroites) (? :blink: ) who had enlisted in Vancouver into the CEF. Has anybody else encountered men from this country enlisting into the BEF, or AIF, or AEF, etc.

I know they were an Allied country, but what was Montenegro's involvement in the war? I know geographically they were down by Serbia. Much fighting by them?

Peter in Vancouver

The two Montenegrans I have ready at hand are these:

279354 KONCAR , MIKE

101651 BAROVICH , RADE

As to Montenegro itself, other than the fact that it was losely allied to Serbia (or Servia!), I do not know if it's involvement could possibly be more than incidental.

However, as with our "Russian" versus "Austrian" Ukranians and Poles, some men may have given a place of birth that would not sound "Austrian" , as "Bosnia" or "Herzegovina" might. The same might hold for "Greeks". Greece was an ally, but I also have men born in Macedonia and even "Constantinople" (although how that one got through is anyone's guess!). I have also seen court cases where fellows accused of being "Turkish" argued (successfully!) that they were "Syrian".

On a completely unrelated note, I have one fellow who claimed to have been born in "Saint Helena, Africa". How many of those can there have been?

As to Montenegro itself, other than the fact that it was losely allied to Serbia (or Servia!), I do not know if it's involvement could possibly be more than incidental.

Montenegro was invaded by Austria.

Montenegran casualties are mentioned on this site:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWdeaths.htm

Dave