Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Stoker Arthur Pinkney R.N. ?

Skipman

Mike.

I had assumed that, because of the Scotsman article, the Kenmore you referred to is the one in Scotland. Is that correct? The 1911 census is England and Wales only, so if he had moved to Scotland with family, that would be the reason he's not listed.

Apart from that, I just checked the help on the 1911 census site - it does say that the enumerator summary books for some counties/sub-districts are missing and, though all the original household pages survived, names from the missing summary books will not appear online. I note one of those is "Yorkshire, West Riding: Norton." There are about a dozen others.

I guess a fake name is a possibility, though it was 6 years after the tragedy. Another perhaps is that he went by his mother's family name for a while but, at a glance, I couldn't see any Arthur (or Charles) Coopers or Barkers that matched. Others might have better luck.

regards,

Martin

Martin. Yes it is the Perthshire Kenmore. As yet have nothing linking him to Kenmore, other than , another two survivors of a murdered family lived in the orphanage. Lady Breadalbane, wife of the owner of a Huge estate from Oban to Killin, opened a school for orphan boys. I think it took girls later. They has estates in England, including Jersey, where the other two other boys,

Harold A, and Albert H Towner were born.

Mike.

Fingers crossed Kim. I don't mind paying a few quid to solve this one.

Cheers Mike.

I know that the service records above is brief, but I'm surprised if no one noticed if a recruit had a thumb missing.

As we know newspapers aren't always reliable. It is possible that the child's thumb was badly cut but healed.

• 2 weeks later...

My original email was passed on to the Archives Dept, who emailed today to say; they have searched the card indexes and can't find the name. So it looks like back to the ref Library York.

I think it's a case of trawling the microfilm.

Think have to put this on backburner for the moment. Thanks to everyone, we will crack it eventually.

Cheers Mike.

Hello,

This may be something you have already tried, but have you simply tried getting full copies of the newspapers in the area(s) in question and settled in for a good read? Lord knows in my research there were relevant articles that appeared in major papers that did not show up in searches because they were not indexed properly or the main names and/or keywords were misspelled. Actually looking at the full paper may give you stuff you may not otherwise locate. A common thing in newspaper research is that a major news outfit gets the name spelled wrong, and all the papers that get fed from that source all regurgitate the same misspelled name/address, etc.

I also second Myrtle's observation re: the injuries; papers of the day (and even now) often got them wrong, attributed the injuries to the wrong people or played things up for dramatic effect. As a cautionary tale, one person I am researching was declared dead by multiple papers, and was in fact at that time quite alive. So *that's* why I could never find her death notice from the period in question! :)

What do you think?

-Daniel

Hi Daniel.

All things are possible, and it could be any of the above. I haven't really had a good search of the papers yet. Time is the great problem, and the papers will be the best place. Until 1911 census is available in Scotland.

Whenever I get a spare day to trawl Perth microfilm archive, I will do. Meanwhile any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers Mike.

If I get a chance to go across to York at all (before you solve this mystery) I will gladly go and trawl the local papers there.

As we know newspapers aren't always reliable. It is possible that the child's thumb was badly cut but healed.

I agree about the reliability of newspapers and that the only way to know would be to consult any medical records for the boy.

Reconsidering my flippent comment there are some serious questions underlying it:

How detailed were these sections by this time in the war?

How well would scars (of an indeterminant nature) show up from the child to the man?

Thanks Daniel, will give it a ' butchers '

I have emailed an address I found on Rootsweb. On the memorial he is PinKney, but He could well have had this spelling.

Thanks for that, will give him a shout.

Cheers Mike

"The site for all UK Pinckneys"...maybe he knows something, or you can interest him in the chase?

No joy am afraid. He was very interested in the story, but can't help.

If only the 1911 cencus was available, just have to wait.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from 1911census.co.uk (findmypast) recently and noticed that the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire have been added, as well as the county of Durham (an extra 1.9 million records). Did a search for Arthur Pinkney and it brought up this possible:

PINKNEY, ARTHUR, M, 1899, 12, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire North Riding

The age seems about right, as I think he was 2 in the 1901 census. Or was this entry already there from before?

regards,

Martin

Thanks for staying with this one. No new information yet. I still think he would be one of the orphanage kids. Will find out for sure in 2011. Have been to Perth Library and got as far as june 1915 in the Peoples Journal. he may be mentioned in it.

As Martin says, " The search continues "

I have found a school photo with some of the orphans in it but who knows if it's any of the lads am researching.

Cheer Mike.

• 7 months later...

I was in Bells Library Perth today and found this.

People's Journal March 3d 1917

Arthur Pinkney, who has just finished his appreticeship as a baker, left Kenmore last week to join the Royal Navy.

I only got as far as March, so there me be more on this man. I certainly found a wealth of information, as well as over 10 photographs of the men on the Aberfeldy Memorial. A good day.

Cheers Mike

Looks like you've struck gold!

I struck a pretty good seam of gold today, I think I took about 500 photographs of information, and quite a few photographs of the men was looking for, from 2 newspapers. I think it makes a great deal of difference, knowing what the men you are researching looked like.

The People's Journal, is a fantastic resource.

Cheers Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Seany1706

Hi I no This is a really old post, but it has got my attention. I have been doing some research into my family tree. In the motions of this I typed in Arthur's name into Google and this led me here, it has come to light that Arthur was actually on a branch of my family tree, im currently waiting for my mum to dig out the actual tree we have created and will happily share the information we have found so far. Also I'm just wondering what got you into researching Arthur Mike?

Cheers sean