Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Stoker Arthur Pinkney R.N. ?

Skipman

With his whole family gone, I wonder if he was adopted after he had recovered from his injuries and his adopted family lived somewhere near Kenmore. Just a guess. Although his natural parents' names are given on CWGC..

I had a look at the 1901 census yesterday and could only find the Pinkney family already quoted above as being the only possible family.

The wife/mother, Sarah, comes from Hampsthwaite - which is the next village to us and where my daughter goes to school.

There is a wedding for John Pinkney and Sarah Cooper in 1879 in Knaresborough district (so right area).

Considering this I'm surprised I haven't found anything on it - I shall search VERY carefully when I go on Wednesday!!!

As his natural parents names are on the CWGC site maybe he wasn't adopted but taken in by close relatives - living in the Kenmore area.

Do you happen to know his mother's maiden name - in case her parents took him in? Also any married female relative such as an aunt would, of course, have a different surname from him.

Edit: Oh Kim, you've just answered my question. :) So maybe he lived with a Cooper family?

Actually, just noticed that the article from the Scotsman you posted, Mike, says he was R.N.V.R. That service record for Charles Arthur Pinkney was R.N.

This marriage looks as if it could be the one !

Marriages, Easingwold, Sep Quarter 1894.

John Pinkney

Sarah Barker

Gerry

2vvtdnc.jpg

Well, you folks have been busy on my behalf. Thanks very much, really appreciated. Will have good look through all posts and see what's what. Never seen one of these before, but here's N/A form.

Mike

Edit

I think without the 1911 cencus it will be difficult to tie him to Kenmore, I think it very likely that he did live in orphanage. Will try find school records, or some local newspaper items.

Again many thanks for your sleuthing, Top notch.

Oh, sadly the Wounds, Scars or Marks section is blank.

I would like to have seen some evidence to show that he survived an attack as a baby.

A negative result, of course, means nothing here. Maybe he wasn't given a full physical examination for this form. Maybe any scars have faded to insignificance.

Mike

I notice that he was only with the navy for 2 months before he died. Does it say that his occupation was Baker, Bolter or something else?

Myrtle

Well spotted Myrtle, Baker it is I think. That's another bit of info. Why would a Baker be a Stoker?, does that make sense, or was he a Baker before joining Navy?

The plot thickens.

Cheers Mike.

Mike.

The occupation given on RN service records is before joining. My grandfather's occupation says Footman.

regards,

Martin

Mike

So it appears that Charles Arthur Pinkney was a baker before he joined up. You may be able to narrow down possible employers in the Local Trade directories of the time which may give you some clues when looking for information in the local Kenmore newspapers.

Seems to me that there would have been many similarities in working conditions for bakers and stokers at that time.

Myrtle

I take it that means acting leading seaman ?

Yes it does.

There is only one A Pinkney listed online for the RND:

Name Pinkney, Aaron

Service Number(s): Z/2400

Rank or Rating: Able Seaman, Acting Leading Seaman, Revert Able Seaman

Date of Birth: 31 May 1895

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=6

2qs47y9.jpg

I have come across Aaron, and have seen him discounted on another site. They could well be wrong with Arthur, who knows?

The hunt continues, thanks very much for your continued input.

Much appreciated Mike.

I finally got to look at the final newspaper yesterday and no luck I'm afraid!! I have to say I'm amazed it's not in there as it would be quite a big 'thing' at the time - especially with the wife being from one of our villages. The newspapers covered quite an area and I certainly saw things which happened in Middlesbrough being quoted which is a LOT further away than York!!

Anyhow ............

I suggest you contact York library which holds the newspaper for (surprisingly) York and district. The upside of this is they will research for up to half an hour free of charge!!

Quote:

If you are researching your own family or local history you can make your visit to us more worthwhile by contacting us first. Written requests for information (letters, faxes or emails) will be acknowledged within 10 working days. We will undertake research on your behalf for up to half an hour free of charge. You will be consulted before any research which would attract a fee is undertaken.

End quote.

Link: 'HERE'

Their contact details are on the top right of the page.

Come back and let us know if you get anything - I'm interested in this now!!

I know that the service records above is brief, but I'm surprised if no one noticed if a recruit had a thumb missing.

I know that the service records above is brief, but I'm surprised if no one noticed if a recruit had a thumb missing.

Right enough, I imagine they would have picked up on that.

Maybe that isn't our man then.

As far as the orphanage angle goes; is it possible the authorities might have changed his name, to shelter him from the public, and from his own early trauma. Then when old enough, he was told the truth, and reverted back to his original name. I mean could he be listed in the cencus under a false name?

Bit far fetched?

Mike.