Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Stoker Arthur Pinkney R.N. ?

Skipman

There is a man Arthur Pinkney on Kenmore memorial as a Stoker R.N.
There is an Aaron Pinkney, but can find no Arthur Pinkney
His connection to Kenmore is unknown, can't find wedding or birth cert in Scotlands people, can't find MIC or CWGC
I have found in Scotsman archives an Arthur Pinkney The sole survivor of a family murdered by the father Timothy Pinkney on 13th Nov 1905. Healington nr York
He slit his throat after killing wife Hannah Pinkney and children Elsie 10 John 8 Madge 4. In the arms of dead mother was very young Arthur Pinkney, suffering from fearful injuries, but still alive.
Could this be Kenmore Arthur Pinkney the Stoker
In Kenmore there was an orphanage, where I have found three men who were killed in great war, and are on Kenmore memorial. Have not found Arthur at Orphanage, but one other boy and brother, were also from a family murdered by their father. Both murderers were ex service men.
Can anyone help find Arthur Pinkney a Stoker in R.N. and is he the young Arthur Pinkney in the story?
Cheers Mike

There is a Thomas James Pinkey {The Father??} in RN Records {twice} from Co Antrim enlisted 1888.

Pinkeys RN Link

Mike

In the 1901 census Charles Arthur Pinkney lived in Heslington with his parents John and Sarah and siblings therefore it is possible that he was related to the other Arthur Pinkney that you have mentioned.

Myrtle

Cheers Myrtle I still have to find a connection to Kenmore. They could be related. There should also be a CWGC entry for Arthur too, unless he is Charles Arthur. The murder/boy may be nothing to do with it. I found the story and put together with the other murder/orphan it seemed a possibility.

Strange?

Cheers Mike

Mike

I would have thought that if the boy who survived the murder was called Arthur Pinkney and was from Heslington there is a very strong possibility that he was related to Charles Arthur Pinkney who had also lived in Heslington, however as you say you need to prove an Arthur Pinkney connection to Kenmore. I know that when I have checked casualties on Welsh memorials I have found orphans who were transferred to orphanages considerable distances from their places of birth.

Myrtle

Mike, Admiralty casualty records have:

PINKNEY, CHARLES A., STOKER 2c, K 41542 , VICTORY, 29-Apr-17, ILLNESS.

It is not unusual for someone to be listed on a memorial only by the forename they were known by.

Best ishes

David

Mike.

For background info, I tried searching The Times for the Pinkney murders in 1905 but, for the life of me, I couldn't find anything - not a sausage! This is the sort of thing the newspapers lapped up (still do I suppose) so I was very surprised not to find any reports of the incident or any subsequent court appearances. Occasionally searching for something in The Times yields no result even though it IS there (an indexing problem). Can you directy me to any ordinary websites that have some info on the murders so that I could then cross-check details with The Times? Also, you're sure about the spelling - it is Pinkney?

regards,

Martin

Thanks for the replies Martin. I found the story in the Scotsman Archives typing in ' Arthur Pinkney' 1914-1918 found it by accident. Pinkney is the spelling on memorial, but that means nothing. Have seen spellings Pinckney .

Scotsman costs £7.90/day.

Thanks for your interest and help

Mike.

If he was the surviving baby I guess he would have had some scars left by the attack ??

Are there any medical records for him (including distinctive marks) available to look at anywhere?

Martin, when "The Guardian" archives were free to search, I found 'gossipy' stories that were not reported in "The Times".

Kath.

That's interesting, Kath. I might just have to admit defeat (on that angle). Had another go at The Times and still nothing. Sometimes if there's something else happening, like a war, or other important world events, some smaller stories don't make it in. The only Pinkney's I could find were in the tennis results.

regards,

Martin

PINKNEY, CHARLES A., STOKER 2c, K 41542 , VICTORY, 29-Apr-17, ILLNESS.

Thanks David, missed this earlier, will see if I can find more.

His association with Kenmore isn't known, yet. There was an orphanage in Kenmore at this time, and three other men who died in ww1 grew up there. Two brothers , one who died ww1, also were orphaned by a father ( ex army ) murdering the family. Have not found Arthur Pinkney/Kenmore yet.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the local archives tomorrow here in Harrogate, which as you may or may not know is the next town to York. I will have a quick scan through Nov/Dec 1905 on the off chance it's mentioned there -you never know!!

Hi Mike

I've trawled through two of the three local papers but haven't found anything yet.

I'm back there again next week so will check the last paper.

Hi Mike

Just found this on FreeBMD

Deaths, York, Dec Quarter 1905.

Pinkney Elsie 9

Pinkney John 46

Pinkney John George 8

Pinkney Madge 3

Pinkney Sarah 46

Gerry

1901 Census

Heslington, Yorkshire

Pinkney John (Head) 42

Pinkney Sarah (Wife) 41

Pinkney Elsie (Daug) 4

Pinkney John George (son) 3

Charles Arthur (son) 2

Elizabeth Eva (Daug) 2 months

Gerry

Nice find, Gerry. Seems to match. Arthur may have been his preferred name but was actually Charles Arthur, which matches the CWGC entry that Myrtle found above. The additional info gives his parents as "Son of John and Sarah Pinkney, of Flawith, Alne, York." I think the age given on his CWGC entry is incorrect (27, died 1917). His RN service record suggests that he was about 18: Charles Arthur Pinkney

D.O.B. as 17 November 1898, born York, Yorkshire.

If it is indeed him, then I guess the only question is the original one: what was his connection with Kenmore?

Sad, isn't it. He survives such an horrific, traumatic event in his childhood, only to go to war to serve his country and die at 18 years of age.

regards,

Martin