Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SCHOOLS WAR DEAD

trenchwalker

hi every one

i was asked on the ypres trip from my school on thursday and was asked to find someone from the school who was killed so i was takern into a dusty cuboard and behind some mops and ladders. THERE was a huge brass plack with the names of 53 men and 1 teacher . well i found the one they wanted a bloke from the middlesex in tyne cot. I have now found 32 of them i just need a little help finding a couple more what i wanna do is find them all. so if anyone can help im looking for anyone from the ENFIELD area:

Teacher

a.c. greenwood

student

c.attwood

a.allen

a e clarke

j h filby

w.m greed

d.gritty

thanks in advance

Trench

I found this

Name: CLARK, ARTHUR EDWIN

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 02/11/1918

Service No: 137702

Additional information: Son of Joseph and Emily Clark, of 94, Green St., Enfield Highway. Twice previously wounded.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: ENFIELD HIGHWAY (ST. JAMES) CHURCHYARD

SDGW-

Born-Enfield Highway,Middx

Enlisted-Tottenham,Middx

Name: GREED, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Regiment: London Regt (Royal Fusiliers)

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 2507

Additional information: Son of Walter and Mary Ann Greed, of 8, Woodlands Rd., Enfield, Middx.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 16 B

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

SDGW-

Enlisted-Handel St

Residence-Enfield

Killed in Action

This man is the only Gritty listed on CWGC site and SDGW records he was Born and Enlisted in Enfield

Name: GRITTY, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 18th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/07/1916

Service No: 33289

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Trench I'm not sure if this is your man but he is the only JH Filby on CWGC

Name: FILBY, JOHN HENRY

Initials: J H

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 12th/13th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/08/1918

Service No: 205719

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 3

Cemetery: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Regards Doug

Trenchie

Was the information of use? I wasn't sure with your response.

Regards doug

oh yes its all correct been looking at dates of students at schools census etc.

That brass plaque needs to come out of it's broom cupboard PDQ to assume it's rightful place of honour somewhere in the school. Why , if it ever needed to be removed , was it not replaced somewhere suitable ? My school's war memorial has been on the wall in the hall for 50 plus years having been moved there from a demolished building.

That brass plaque needs to come out of it's broom cupboard PDQ to assume it's rightful place of honour somewhere in the school.

I couldn't agree more. It is appalling that this is hidden in a broom cupboard. So much for "We shall remember them".

the plauque used to be in the main hall but got vanderliced so was redone then the hall got a new lick of paint.the plarck was then put in the main lobby then a office was built around it the office closed and was turn into the broom cuboard were it remain.

i have talked with my head mistress she not intrested. maybe if i broke a small childs legs i would get some attention ,the plark will go up and ill get a free trip to alton towers.

so if they dont want it i may adorn my jekin and cap comforter and do a raid. hopefully making it appearance in the royal gunpowder mills. hhhmmmm * polishing a trench club*

You head mistress want a damned good slap (in the words of a certain Mr Wogan).

How can she be so ... so ... negative about it!

Hell, if I were you Mart, I'd be on to the papers or something about this - it's your heritage she is keeping locked away in that cupboard and she has no right to keep it from the children of your school - even if the majority of them wouldn't know what it was.

If she doesn't want it you should ask her if you can give it a good home - wait until she goes in the future and then return it with a huge fanfare to the new head.

just my opinion - been a long day - am off home now

Fleur

Good thinking Fleur. What a dense woman - how about talking to the Head of the History Dept, instead ? This sort of thing makes me so cross !

I am just staggered by the attitude of this Head Mistress. It is quite extraordinary. I really think you should involve someone else who would be interested. Maybe ex pupils; PTA; or local history people. But I think it is just criminal that this piece of the school's heritage, a commemoration of past pupils sacrifices, should be treated in this way.

Just a suggestion Trenchie...write an article or letter for your local freebie paper about it and then see what happens. No schools like bad press in this day and age and you may find they give this plaque and what it represents the respect it deserves afterwards.

All the best on your crusade,

Tim

Tim G's advice is good advice. This PC type teacher is probably more concerned with the EU aspect, than our duty aspect. Try an Our Lost hero's of yesteryearwith your local press. They love controversy And local names sell local papers' :P