Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Remembering Today'

Terry Denham

For the regulars who research the daily casualty, here are the names which featured only sporadically over the four days of the Great Forum Drought of '04.

L/Sjt Ernest HOLMES 202268 1/4 Bn, York & Lancaster Regt who died aged 24 on 19.03.18 Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium

Gnr William McALONAN 61126 81 Bty, 5 Bde, Royal Field Artillery who died on 20.03.16 Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Belgium

Pte Stanley Herbert WOOD CH/21026 Royal Marine Light Infantry who died on 21.03.17 Deal Cemetery, Kent, UK

Chaplain Revd Thomas George TRUEMAN Australian Young Men's Christian Association who died on 22.03.18 Dranoutre Military Cemetery, Belgium

Remembered today.

Thanks for that Terry.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I couldn't do my own 'Remembering Today' bit on Sunday - so here goes:

Remembering my great uncle William George Swain who was killed in action with the 2nd Bedfordshire Regt on 21st March 1918; he is buried in Chapelle British Cemetery, Holnon, France.

William (or Fat as he was known) can be found in the 'Ordinary Heroes' section on the mothersite, along with Edward his elder brother who Kia on 2nd Feb 1916.

Chaplain Revd Thomas George TRUEMAN Australian Young Men's Christian Association who died on 22.03.18 Dranoutre Military Cemetery, Belgium

Remembered today.

Interesting Terry. I wonder how many people belonging to the YMCA died during the war?

Thomas George Trueman was attached to the 5th Battalion AIF when he was killed on the 22/03/18, was 30 years of age and his next of kin was his parents, Clara & Thomas Trueman of 'Te Whare' Milton St Canterbury Victoria.

Cheers

Andrew

A reasonable number of UK YMCA personnel appear in CWGC's database although the total could not be said to be large. Revd Truman was unusual in that he came from the Australian branch of the organisation.

I know of at least one US YMCA casualty as well as the UK men.

The YMCA was one of the Recognised Civilian Organisations that qualified for war grave status if the person concerned died whilst on duty and of war causes (along with certain other religious organisations providing troop comforts and moral support). The YWCA also qualified in WW2.