Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RESEARCHING THE CWGC

Thomas2

Hi Stephen,

I was going to introduce you to the greatest web site ever (for GW casualty researchers) but alas it seems to have died!!!

Geoffs!!

I hope that this is temporary!!

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search14-21.php

"The requested page does not exist.

I tried to find it, but what you are looking for could not be found.

Yes it is my job to go and fetch web pages for you, but I could not find this one.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

And I'm very sorry.

geoff<at>blueangel.demon.co.uk._"

John (Please No!!)

Stephen

Put the year you are after in both the "to" and "from". When the results come up, click on the date of death title - this will rearrange all the deaths by date in ascending order. This will naturally generate too many results unless you enter a name or part. But you can go "a", "b", "c" etc. Tedious, but works. For example, if you simply put surname "a", 1914 to 1914, army, uk you get 834 results starting on 4 August 1914 with Lance Corporal Abacha of the Nigerian Regiment, WAFF. The results for each day are listed alphabetically.

Regards

Andrew

John, Stephen,

Elsewhere on the forum it has been announced that Geoff has had some pretty major issues to work out on his search engine and it will be back online once this has been done.

I for one will be very pleased when this happens as it has been an absolute goldmine for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

John, Stephen,

Elsewhere on the forum it has been announced that Geoff has had some pretty major issues to work out on his search engine and it will be back online once this has been done.

I for one will be very pleased when this happens as it has been an absolute goldmine for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Good to hear that.

You can also use the POWER OF GOOGLE to control the search. I prefer the Google Toolbar and the "Search Site" function, which actually gives you a search such as:

27/08/1914 site:www.cwgc.org

You can just type that format in the search bar if you prefer. Because it is one word (no spaces) it does not need quotations.

That is the format of dates for the records, which differs from results if you used "27 August 1914". You can also limit this search further to include or exclude text by using the "Advanced Search", which I usually do after that first general search.

That's clever Laughton and very useful in the absence of Geoff's Marvelous Machine, will it still give results if searched by date and unit details?

cheers, Jon

I tried it by refining the search to include Boolean operators (I think that is what you call AND OR NOT, etc.) and it appears to work. For example I took the previous search and asked it to also look for NORTHUMBERLAND and FUSILIERS and it shortened the list:

27/08/1914 AND Northumberland AND Fusiliers site:www.cwgc.org

From the results and what is shown in the search bar on the results page, it appears (but I have not tried) that you could use "+" signs as well, or even alter what is in the search bar from that set of results to refine it further:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=...gc.org&meta=

Richard