Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A real mystery! Saving Harry Smith

Salfordian

I have been asked by a friend to try and solve this mystery. Now I know that the stars and legends on GWF never shirk at a challenge!

here goes!

My friend's relation Harry Smith served during WWI and by all accounts he survived the war. The story is that Harry fell in "No mans land" and was saved by a bloke called Dai Jenkins. My friend believes that both men were in the Royal Horse Artillety, although this cannot be proved or dismissed.

Dai allegedly got a citation for this act of bravery and the families became friends after the war, indeed sending Christmas cards across the families until only a year or so ago.

Sadly communications were lost and Harry's family are now interested in finding out the true story of the incident, including what the medal, citation Dai won (indeed if it was for saving Harry). Also they would be interested to find out what the battle was, for it could be anything from Ypres to Somme. Mons to Gallipolli.

If anyone can find anything MICs, Service records and/or Newspaper or Regimental cuttings this would be fantastic.

I appreciate it's a possible long shot, but as mentioned the GWF has a right bunch of legends!

Thanks, as always in advance

Steve

I have been asked by a friend to try and solve this mystery. Now I know that the stars and legends on GWF never shirk at a challenge!

here goes!

My friend's relation Harry Smith served during WWI and by all accounts he survived the war. The story is that Harry fell in "No mans land" and was saved by a bloke called Dai Jenkins. My friend believes that both men were in the Royal Horse Artillety, although this cannot be proved or dismissed.

Dai allegedly got a citation for this act of bravery and the families became friends after the war, indeed sending Christmas cards across the families until only a year or so ago.

Sadly communications were lost and Harry's family are now interested in finding out the true story of the incident, including what the medal, citation Dai won (indeed if it was for saving Harry). Also they would be interested to find out what the battle was, for it could be anything from Ypres to Somme. Mons to Gallipolli.

If anyone can find anything MICs, Service records and/or Newspaper or Regimental cuttings this would be fantastic.

I appreciate it's a possible long shot, but as mentioned the GWF has a right bunch of legends!

Thanks, as always in advance

Steve

PS Harry maybe from Manchester

As you say a challenge and the names are not exactly a help - Dai Jenkins is not exactly an uncommon name and as for Smith - as I said a challenge. One thing puzzles me is what two artillerymen would be doing in no mans land.

As you say a challenge and the names are not exactly a help - Dai Jenkins is not exactly an uncommon name and as for Smith - as I said a challenge. One thing puzzles me is what two artillerymen would be doing in no mans land.

God knows, and to be honest They may not be from RHA. I am sorry for the very scrappy information !

Steve

I think you may to come this sideways.

Is there no way, that the current Jenkins family can be traced? If so, they may have some information about Dai's service that will help to pin it down. I assume that there's no had information on Harry's side?

Depending on where Harry lived, it might be worth checking the local papers. I'm thinking here the local weekly rather than, say, the Manchester Evening News or Chronicle. It may mention something.

Other than that I think trying to find Harry Smith from Manchester might be a tad difficult even for some of the "experts".

John

A search on the London Gazette's website reveals that 337736 Sjt D. Jenkins of the RGA, who was from West Hartlepool, was awarded the MM. This is listed on p. 8620 of the Supplement to the London Gazette, 16 July 1918.

This is a link to the page listing Sjt. Jenkins.

This link is to an earlier page explaining that the list is of MM winners.

This link is to Sjt. Jenkins's medal roll card at the NA, which will cost £2 to download. His first name isn't given.

RGA does seem to be an unlikely unit for a man to have been in no man's land but could he have been working with a Forward Observation Officer?

This link is to Sjt. Jenkins's medal roll card at the NA, which will cost £2 to download. His first name isn't given.

Also from NA, reveals forename to be David G.....

Medal card of Jenkins, David

Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery Durham

Regiment No: 337736

1914-1920 WO 372/10

Medal card of Jenkins, David G

Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery

Regiment No: 337736

1914-1920 WO 372/10

Regards

Steve