Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

158th Protection Coy., Royal Defence Corps

Peterhastie

Can anyone help with what this chap was doing on or around the time of his death.

I think the Corps did POW camps, guarding important places UK and possibly went to Northern Ireland

In Memory of

Private W H TATE

25691, 158th Protection Coy., Royal Defence Corps

who died

on 07 October 1916

Hello Peter

You are broadly right. The RDC was formed from home-service battalions of infantry regiments.

You probably know that he is buried in Darlington West Cemetery. This would point to his being posted to the Tees Coastal Defences, and he probably fdied from natural causes.

Ron

Hello Ron

Coastal defences sounds OK, but he was only about 33yrs old and a bit to young to die of natural causes, but not impossible.

I cant find reference to his death on the BMD Register

Why would he be in the Defense Corps and not the regular army and serve abroad.

I cant find a service record or medal card, destroyed in the blitz, or just didnt get one ?

Peter

Hello Peter

He may have been killed in an accident, or possibly an air-raid.

It was not unusual for men to die naturally at 33 - there were TB, smallpox and other illnesses which do not kill today, but often did then.

Poor health might also have accounted for his being awarded a low medical classification and hence he could not serve in an overseas theatre of operations. That being so, he would not qualify for the usual medals, so there would be no MIC.

A lower medical category might also mean that, for example, he simply had poor eyesight or was partly deaf.

Which BMD index did you search? I am no expert in that field but if the Army registered his death, it might be done on a central basis (as it was for Army deaths overseas) rather than through the local registry.

Ron

Er, Peter, where did the 33 years old come from? Is this your own personal information? No age is given on CWGC.

I can find no matching death in the civilian death index (GRO death index) nor is there one in the Army deaths (GRO Army war deaths 1914-1921).

Hmm!

Noel

Im assuming he's one of my wifes ancestors b1883 West Hartlepool.

As there's no register entry for his death, either GRO or Army, showing his age at death, Im a bit stuck.

How did you look at the Army deaths ?

Peter