Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Monmothshire Regiment

Myrtle

Following a very helpful conversation with the South Wales Borderers museum I would like to check something which I was unable to discover yesterday. According to his mic Pte Hamer was transferred from the SWBs to the Monmouthshire Regiment and given the number 200808 which probably indicates 1st Battalion. On the soldiers pension papers there is no mention of Monmouth Regiment but alongside the service number 200808 it reads 50th Provisional Battn. I would appreciate if someone can explain how the Monmouths and the 50th Provisional are linked.

Myrtle

Doesn't help directly but I can tell you that 48th Provisional Bn was formed from "home service only" men of the Monmouths and Herefords, and in January 1917 became the 4th Bn Monmouths.

Thank you Chris,

Pte Hamer was posted to the 50th Provisional Battalion 11th October 1915 from the South Wales Borderers. He was then absorbed by the Monmouths on 10th July 1917 although it is not clear if he was absorbed into the 1st Reserve or the 1st Battalion. Do you know which is more likely as I have differing information?