Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Scots brothers in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force

PPCLI

Could I trouble someone with access to the NZEF enlistment rolls to look up the details of two brothers? They were:

10/1534 Joseph Ireland, Wellington Regiment, kia on 8th Aug 1915 at Gallipoli, and

23/462 William Ireland, New Zealand Rifle Brigade

The information I have is that Joseph enlisted October 1914, 3rd Reinforcements and William the next month with the 4th Reinforcements. Any further details such as their enlistment addresses, occupations and departure dates for Egypt would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Stuart

Hi go to this link http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/C.../locations.aspx

This will give you the information you require on Joseph as he was k.i.a. The other brother is harder as the NZ files are not on line.

Hope this helps.

It certainly does. Clicking on the associated original image gives some details for the other brother. Only need to pin down his embarkation date.

Thank you,

Stuart

This will give you the information you require on Joseph as he was k.i.a. The other brother is harder as the NZ files are not on line.

Just realised that this database covers all NZ servicemen, not just those who died in service - have now found William's embarkation date.

If any other NZ pal can add the occupation info from another source then please get in touch. Only asking because a while ago someone who had the NZEF enlistment rolls on fiche was able to provide occupations, where stated.

Cheers,

Stuart

Given William Ireland's address and point of signing up were both Lismore Station in a remote part of the country, I expect he was some form of farm worker - trying to find more details, but farming of some nature very likely.

Regards

Andrew

Stuart

The NZ Service Personnel Index I have does not give an occupation. Confirms he was single, was in the 1st NZRB as a "Transport Driver".

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your help, especially re New Zealand geography. I agree that farm work is the most likely occupation - the area he left in Scotland is very rural/agricultural.

Looking further at the online enlistment rolls, I believe that the men who have an occupation stated on their record are all later enlistments - the ones I have are 1916 enlistments. So, it looks like I have all the info from these rolls.

Cheers,

Stuart