Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Listing of Great War Sites in the UK

Brian Curragh

A rural development ("LEADER") group in Pembrokeshire has been working to produce a catalogue of military history sites in the county. The guide is being done settlement by settlement and whilst many sites are nineteenth century or WW2 there are some WW1 sites, e.g. the Royal Dockyard at Pembroke Dock, and the WW1 seaplane station at Fishguard.

Gwyn (a different one to earlier posts!)

Gwyn

That is a nice guide. I have downloaded a copy so will add the WW1 sites to the list.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Brian

It can also cause confusion, have people feel that others are treading on their toes, and is very reliant on good-will. The project is "open" to anyone who knows about it and who acquires a (free) Google Account. So far it is only known to members of the GWF and in due course those who see GWF postings appear in Google (when that happens I think I may throw the switch that allows Google to directly index it - when it potentially becomes directly "open" to anyone). There is a danger that it might get spammed (I take occasional backups), that it might get taken in a totally different direction to Brian's original idea (if I am already doing that with the inclusion of museums, Brian is being very tolerant), but unless we let it take its own direction Brian and I will end up doing all the work.

David

David

I am more than happy for the project to take its own direction - if we (the GWF) can end up with a valuable & useful resource at the end of the day, then the effort put in by all will have been well worthwhile.

"Such is the nature of Web 2.0 collaborative projects - for that is what this is!" - I still haven't got my head round what Web 2.0 is - you will have to explain it to me someday!

Regards

Brian

Brian and David,

I don't mind giving you a hand with plotting etc, now I've got a hang of the basics.

It will have to wait until BT get round to reinstating my broadband connection though. (A long story)

I can probably pad Sussex out a bit.

I like the new icons; not as obtrusive as the Google standard ones.

Phil

Phil

Thanks for the offer - as David mentioned the whole project is collaborative - so whenever you get the chance to add some sites, follow David's instructions in post 16 & off you go!

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread back up - we now have 40 UK Great War sites on the map (link in post #1) with plenty of raw material still to go through.

Thanks to all who have contributed to date.

Brian

Brian,

Where did you learn about practice trenches at Oswestry hill fort? I must say i've never heard of them. Just east of Oswestry is Park Hall and Park Hall Camp, which had it's own training ground.

Neil

Neil

Martin Brown mentioned them at the Centre for First World War Studies Day School on Saturday in his talk on UK Training Sites from the Great War - it was only really in passing. There was also a comment that they picked an hill fort (might have been Oswestry or another one) to practice throwing grenades on - if the grenade wasn't thrown far enough at least the slope of the hill would get the offending item as far away as quickly as possible!

Might be my eyesight - but there appear to be trenches at about 3 o'clock on the fort - if you look at it on Google Maps

Regards

Brian

Cheers Brian.

I have spotted the marks that could be trenches. With it being so close to the camp, it would make good sense.

If you go due east and up abit, you'll find artillery road. To the left of the road, inbetween the railway you'll see markings, i beleive this was the location of the WW1 German POW cemetery

Neil

Neil

There does look to be something under there - some definite squared-off shapes. Have you managed to find any local references to the POW cemetery & its history?

Brian

All i have is the following from the 1931 IWGC volume for Shropshire

Park Hall prisonsers of war cemetery Whittington, is in the field north west of Whittington Village, adjoining the northside of the great western railway line from Shrewsbury to Chester. It was conveyed in to the war department 1922 east. It contains the graves of 105 German soldiers and 4 sailors of the German Navy. A prisoners of war hospital was opened at Park Hall in 1918.

Neil

Neil

Thank you - but David deserves my thanks for making the technical aspect work - and thanks also to everyone who has contributed sites - please keep them coming!

Brian

I followed the link, from the first post, and up came the google map of Bucks with Halton camp and Hospital in the centre. Strange nobody has marked this as a WW1 site. Too late now though, see Halton Camp St Mary's Hospital. As a consolation, my great grandad was born on that same map at Western Turville will that suffice for the first page marker, he did serve. Must be other sites in the area, the camp for one.

Alan

Alan

Thanks for the post - the thread and the associated Google Maps site are intended to identify the many still existing WW1 sites in the UK. Sites can be added to the map using the instructions in Post no.16 - or you can post details of a site to this thread and I can add it onto the map.

So if you know of any suitable candidates - the Halton Camp for example if it has any WW1 era buildings - let me have the details & I will correct the omission.

Regards

Brian

Well I have to say this isn't what I thought you meant when you said 'a list' Brian.

When you mentioned it, I kept a look out for it, but never saw it until David mentioned this thread on my 'London' thread - and that's how I found what you've been up to.

I have to say, I stand back in admiration of both yours and David's work!!

This looks like it's going to be one fantastic resource - well done both of you (and contributors).

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading 'Lost houses of the West Riding' and a piece about Shelf Hall, near Bradford, which states "In the 1914-1918 War it was a prisoner-of-war camp. Afterwards it was bought by the local council and demolished." Shelf is South West of Bradford. Any use, or more proof needed?

Phil.

Just been reading 'Lost houses of the West Riding' and a piece about Shelf Hall, near Bradford, which states "In the 1914-1918 War it was a prisoner-of-war camp. Afterwards it was bought by the local council and demolished." Shelf is South West of Bradford. Any use, or more proof needed?

Phil.

Phil,

Is there anything left to see (either of the original, or some artefact that was part of the original and carried through to a new building) and can you (or anyone else) identify an exact location? If it was a POW camp (I don't thing we have one yet) the fact that the main building was demolished does not necessarily mean that there is nothing left. I have added a custom icon for a POW Camp (bit WW2 ish - sorry) - plus one for a house/home.

Feel free to add the location (you will need to set up a free google account - then see post 16)

David

Phil

Thanks for the pointer - is there anything left on the site still to see? If not, we probably wouldn't include it at this stage.

Regards

Brian

PS - the map is now up to 64 sites and counting.

PPS - Snap!

Right Chaps. First thing .The Estate covered 27 acres, including 'a Glen unsurpassed for beauty.' Now how much of this would be left in modern Bradford I'm not so sure. Second Shelf Hall Lane exists and surprisingly there is much greenery on the AA map, so a hidden rural idyll could be still around. The Acknowledgements given include The City of Bradford Council, Arts, Museums and Libraries, and the Telegraph and Argus, so the source of the story should be obtainable.

Phil.

I think the site is now (per geograph) is now a modern village hall.

The "New Shelf Hall" is pictured in the Halifax Courier.

Any one local to the area know if there are any traces of WW1 and the POWs?

David

David,

I am local enough to the area to have a look round in the next week or so, grandad duties permitting.

However I have found another WW1 POW Camp in Dorset on the www.english-heritage.org.uk/nmr site. Their PastScape facility shows monument no. 1478826 TARRANT MONKTON as a" First World War Prisoner of war and subsequent repatriation camp is visable on assorted structures on aeriel photos taken in 1947 most of which were removed by 1953." By giving a monument number there must be something left, and I'm going to try to have a look on the sites facilities that are free of charge. As a member of EH their latest mag.sent gave this site, but I've no idea if it is common knowledge here. Keep you posted.

Phil.

Oh dear, I've just zoomed in and cannot see anything but the tree cover. An aeriel survey was done last summer. You may need an exploring type from the locality. It is mentioned in a 1984 book 'Blandford and the Military'.

Phil.

And finally,

There is detail of the Calshot Former RNAS Station, Fawley, New Forest, which certainly does exist and I expect you have already recorded.

Phil.

Oh dear, I've just zoomed in and cannot see anything but the tree cover. An aeriel survey was done last summer. You may need an exploring type from the locality. It is mentioned in a 1984 book 'Blandford and the Military'.

Phil.

Phil

I can see the wood you are referring to - which might cover the site (if the EH marker was accurate) - there are also some building remains in the field to the west of the wood - but they might be remnants of the airfield buildings possibly.

Brian