Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Arras/Warlincourt, Halte, Saulty

alantaylor2004@hotmail.com

Hi,

I have already booked to go over to France of the 10th April this year. I will be taking the car and 3 other members of my familly.

Would be grateful for any information or tips which may be of use.

Alan

Hi Alan

When I went to visit my uncle's grave at Warlincourt Halte, I stayed at a great B&B in Auchy-au-Bois.

It's probably 45mins to either Arras or Saulty. Will give you details if you require them.

Andy

Hi Alan,

If you do get into Arras, suggest you make a visit to Carriere Wellington, it is an underground Memorial to the New Zealand Tunnellers who connected some underground medieval quarries and created underground billetts for 24,000 British soldiers for the 8 days before the launch of the Battle of Arras in April 1917.

Also, have a look at the two Places (Squares) and the magnificent Belfry in the middle of town, well worth it.

Good luck, Peter

If you wish to stay in a Hotel in Arras, then I can recommend either the Ibis or Mercure. Both are "good value for money".

Wesley Wright

Hi Alan

If you are staying in Arras, I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express which is by the railway station. Huge underground car park with a lift up into reception. Plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance as are many of the Arras WW1 areas of interest.

Cheers

Alan

I was at Faubourg d'Amiens on 9th April a few years ago and it was snowing. On the battlefields, especially up around Monchy it was bitterly cold. Fleeces, wooly hats etc. Keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared to throw some warm gear in the car, you may well need it. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Alan

Vimy Ridge is a must if you have not yet been to the area. If the family only want one 1st WW 'experience' then the ridge would be the most meaningful with guides etc. and the magnificent monument. The Tourist Centre in the old town hall is a useful place to go as well, make sure you go underground there as well. Fuel tip - if you go to the Carriere Wellington as per Peter's post fill up at the Leclerc supermarket next to it. You will not get much better fuel prices in Arras.

Jim