Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Propaganda camp'

centurion

In an account of American inspections of POW camps 1914 -1917 I find the following

"Relations between the American embassy inspectors and the German military were not always smooth. German officials often took exception to critical American reports. In July 1916, the Americans reported the shooting of the second Irish POW at the propaganda prison camp at Limburg-am-Lahn in Prussia. The Germans became quite upset, and threatened to restrict American access to war prisoners"

What was meant by propaganda prison camp? A better than usual one for taking journalists round (but this doesn't square with shooting POWs) Any one know more about the camp and the incidents?

These were men from Irish Regiments, or men British Army who came from Ireland, whom it was hoped would be recruited into the so-called German - Irish Brigade by Sir Roger Casement. The US authorities had undertook to look after British interests in this area, hence their appearance at this camp. These men were concentrated at Limberg so that Casement could try and persuade them to join this German backed "formation" with the intent of getting the British out of Ireland. There was an unsubstantiated report of a British POW being shot, this report by an escaped Russian POW in Holland. Having looked at this subject in some depth a few years ago, I cannot recall seeing any further reports of more shooting amongst the various files associated with the subject.

TR

Centurion.

If you search on Casement you will come up with a fiar bit on Limburg.

I glanced through some of the files at the NA relating to the Irish Brigade and cannot recall any account of prisoners being shot.

This NY Times article mentions the incident and may be the one you have read.

Whilst POWs may have been shot I seriously doubt it was because they did not join Casement's Brigade as the article implies. So few men did join that it is almost certain any shot POW would turn out to a man who had refused to join.

Neil

Thanks both. The quote I posted came from -

"Pursuit of an 'Unparalleled Opportunity' The American YMCA and Prisoner of War Diplomacy among the Central Power Nations during World War I, 1914-1923." by Kenneth Steuer. Chapter 3 The U.S. Government and Prisoner-of-War Responsibilities.

It's a mite more level headed than the NYT report and doesn't mention Casement, it does sound as if two Irish POWs did get shot (for reason(s) unspecified) and the German authorities weren't happy to have it reported.

There are reports of two Irish soldiers being shot but I can't recall the details which I think were reported in detail by McCarthy. I have a feeling they were attached to Limburg but not actually there but I may be wrong and I am not even certain that they were in the same incident. Limburg was set up as a propoganda camp for Irish soldiers but at the time they were shot it had become a punishment camp for them as they refused to sign up. I will look out the report shortly. Gerard the American Ambassador was heavily involved in the case but got nowhere.

Doug

McCarthy Ch IX - Political Camps.

The first was shot by a guard at a working camp but there was no enquiry and therefore no details

The second in a separate incident at Langenseifexe on the 28th May (year not mentioned). The soldier is not mentioned by name but has the initials P.M. and was in the Connaught Rangers. Apparently he was drunk at the time.

Doug