Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Neil - Bedfordshire Regiment

daveavery

Hi, iv already posted a question about him, and found out thanks to forum members he was part of the Bedfordshire regiment.

other than that, i would like to learn more about him, anything at all....

heres what i have....

Charles Harold Neil

Bedfordshire Regiment 22709

labour corps 427453

and his MIC......

post-43102-1232388670.jpg

Dave

What you need is a look at the original Medal Roll at Kew,it MIGHT show the Battalion of the Bedfords that your man served in before he went to the Labour Corps.

The letters and numbers on the MIC against the Medal issues will translate into the original Medal Roll kept in a ledger in the WO329 series,this by reference to an index kept at Kew.

I will do it for you in early Feb on my next visit,time permitting,unless you want to do it yourself

and spend a grand day out !

Sotonmate

hey there, unfortunatly i cant get to kew and to be honest i dont think id know where to start if i did get there.

that would be amazing if you could for me, if you have time, if not dont go out of your way or anything for me.

Thats so kind of you, thanks so much for trying to help me on this, dave. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Dave

I ran out of time but will put in down for next visit in a few weeks.

Sotonmate

• 1 month later...

Dave

I have looked at the Medal Roll in WO329/1837. Unusually there is no Battalion shown,or any dates or other remarks.

Sotonmate

Dave

Your man's Bedfordshire Regt number indicates that he was given it in October 1915. The closest numbers on my Beds Army Service Numbers D/b are 22707 who joined on the 9th Oct, and 22745 who joined on the 15th Oct. I'm sorry, but I have no idea about Labour Corps numbers so can't suggest a date when he transferred.

Paul