Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Swindon's War Record' by WD Bavin 1922

MrG

If anyone has sight of or access to a book called 'Swindon's War Record' by WD Bavin pub 1922 I would be very grateful ti know if there is any reference in to my Great Uncle Charles William Robert Goddard whom I belive signed up in 1914/15. I understand that it contains a listing of all Swindon men that signed up and that there are reference copies of the book in Wiltshire libraries but they are rather out of my way as I am way down on the south coast.

Thanks for any help

Merve

Hi Mr G.. i live in Swindon and have read this book by Bevin..as you say it is in most of Swindons Libraries and a fine book it is too...i will endeavour to look for his name etc in the next few days...Goddard is a very commom name in Swindon down to the fact that The Goddards owned most of old Swindon and indeed had there own church and Chapel... The Goddard Arms in Swindons old town is named after them and i wouldnt be suprised if he wasnt related to one of these ...can i ask if you know if he survived the war?

Merve,

He is indeed listed in the Bavin book as "Goddard, Chas. W. R"

As he isnt listed on the Swindon Town ROH, Im assuming that he survived the war

Grant

MrG... don't know where you are, but Swindon's miles from the south coast (it's level with Bristol & London - M4 motorway) :P

I'm guessing thats the reason that he is asking the question here, because he is on the South coast and Swindons not :o

Thanks all and thanks Grantowl for the confirmation. It doesn't happen to say what regiment does it? Charles survived the war but I have no information on what he did in it. I do know that before the war he worked in a Brass Foundry at a Loco works if this helps. (1911 census)

btw Yes I live on the south coast and Swinon is just a bit too far for an "onn the off chance" type visit - hence the request

Merve

Merve

What age was he in the 1911 census?

I had a look at the 1915 voters list and he's not on there, so he might have been living with his parents still ( were they swindonites?)

No, there is no mention of a regiment, but I cant see a Charles GODDARD in any of the Wiltshire regiment stuff that I have. But a lot of his fellow Foundary workers seemed to end up in the RFA or the RGA and some to the RE - maybe they were used to moving heavy weights around

Grant

Edit - on TNA site there are 6 C W GODDARD's MIC's listed, one Wilts, one RFA and one RAMC are the bestest bets. - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;querytype=1

Thanks Grant - he was 20 in 1911 living with his parents at 66 Summer Street so he would have reached voting age by 1915. If he had already joined up I guess he wouldm'y appead on a voters list (Parents were William and Mary btw). I have been searching for the 1918/19 ABSENT VOTERS LIST for Swindon to see if there was any info there but to date have drawn a blank

Thanks again for the help - will have another look at the MCs. The wilts one I have but no real clue as to whether it's my Charles or not.

Merve

Just in case it helps here is a photo of Charles (with moustache) and my Granddad Bill taken (I think) around 1916. the litte girl is their little sister!

post-39488-1232459937.jpg

Merve,

William GODDARD was still at 66 Summers St in 1915 - it only lists the head of the house

I too have been on the lookout for a 1918 absent voters list for a while, dispite the rumours, I cant seem to locate one - if you do locate a copy, give me a shout please.

Was Bill a Swindonite as well?, their uniforms seem to be identical, might have been the same regiment? what do you know about Bill ?

You could try opening a new thread, posting this pic and asking if anyone can id the uniform, also get the numbers off the MICs and ask if someone with Ancestry can have a look at them for you )to save you the download cost), some of them have an address on the reverse of the card

Grant

Grant,

Thanks for your help. Yes Bill was a Swindonite and joined the Wiltshires in 20th May 1915 signing up in Devizes and lying about his age (he was only 17). I also thought the uniforms looked similar but the picture quality is not great. My best guess is that Pte 21340 Charles William Goddard is mine but am still hoping for that last bit of proof!

I have had a look at all the medal cards (I have an Ancestry account) but no extra info there I'm afraid. Good suggestion with the picture post - I will give it a go.

Do you know when he passed away.....its odds on if he was living in Summers Street he was buried in Swindons Radnor Street Cemetary which incidently holds alot of Swindons war dead.....what happened to the others in the picture?

I don't know whem Charles died - I do know that he survived the war and married an Elizabeth Nippress in Swindon in 1924. The other soldier (clean shaven) is my Grandfather - William (Bill) Goddard who signed up in May 1915 and served right through until 1931 and because of this I have been able to get his service record from the MOD. He was quite a quiet man, fond of a pint and a flutter, and I often wonder if all that he must have seen and experienced through 1916 to 1918 contributed to his rather introspective nature - mind you it might also be something to do with my Gran who was always up for a laugh and had been something of a "bit of a gal" in her youth!

merve

Merve,

I doubt that he is in Radnor St Cemetary as it "closed" it's gates in the 1920's (unless you had a family plot or had already brought your plot), when they moved the cemetary to Whitworth rd (then on the out skirts of the town), there are allegidly about 80 CWGC headstones in the site, and a further 8 in Whitworth, but Iv'e not found nowhere near that number

In 1915 there is an Arthur Nippress living at 112 Morrison St (3 streets away from Summers st).

Did Bill work at the GWR before signing up ?, it would have been comman if there was already a member of the family serving "Inside", also which Battalion did he join

Regarding the photo id thread, dont suppose you have a pic of their caps (and badges)?

Grant

Merve,

I doubt that he is in Radnor St Cemetary as it "closed" it's gates in the 1920's (unless you had a family plot or had already brought your plot), when they moved the cemetary to Whitworth rd (then on the out skirts of the town), there are allegidly about 80 CWGC headstones in the site, and a further 8 in Whitworth, but Iv'e not found nowhere near that number

In 1915 there is an Arthur Nippress living at 112 Morrison St (3 streets away from Summers st).

Did Bill work at the GWR before signing up ?, it would have been comman if there was already a member of the family serving "Inside", also which Battalion did he join

Regarding the photo id thread, dont suppose you have a pic of their caps (and badges)?

Grant

Grant,

Sorry - the posted photo is the only one I have. Bill was only 16 when war broke out. I guess he was working but by May 1915 he had signed up and remained in the Army until 1931

Thanks for all your help

Merve

Merve,

Think I have found Charles, What was Bills full name, regiment number and Batt ?

Grant

Merve,

Think I have found Charles, What was Bills full name, regiment number and Batt ?

Grant

William Frederick Albert Goddard Pte 2084. Enlisted into 3rd Wiltshire Reg. Batallion May 1915 then transferred to 2nd prior to going to France in December 1915 - here's hoping!

merve

Thanks for the thought but I found these a while ago and one of them actually turned out to be a cousin I knew nothing about! Unfortunately no one from Charles line seems to be into family history :(

Merve,

It looks like you picked the right MIC :-)

Charles William Robert GODDARD

21340 – 1st Wiltshire

19/7/1915 Enlisted at Devizes, assigned to 3rd Battalion

10/3/1916 Embarked from Southampton

29/3/1916 Joined Battalion

8/6/1916 Myalgia. Admitted 76 Field Ambulance

13/6/1916 Rheu Fever. Admitted 42 Casuality Clearing Station

14/6/1916 Myalgia. Admitted 12 SH

23/6/1916 Myalgia. Admitted 2 General Hospital

27/6/1916 To 2 Convalesent Camp

20/7/1916 3 IBD

2/8/1916 Pooled for duty and proceeded to joined 1/DCLI.

4/8/1916 Joined 1/DCLI.

4/9/1916 Transferred to 1/DCLI. Allotted Regtl No. "31712"

The last bit is a bit of a puzzle as there is no record of him being in the DCLI, maybe he got sent to the Labour Corp before the paperwork was dry

Also a bit about Bill

William Frederick Albert GODDARD

20804 - 2nd Wiltshire, A Company

20/5/1915 Enlisted at Devizes for 7 years, assigned 3rd Battalion

8/12/1915 Embarked Southampton with 25th reinforcements

Disembarked La Harve

18/12/1915 Joined Battalion

18/6/1916 Wounded

28/6/1916 Wounded in fall of trench

2/7/1916 To England

9/5/1917 Arrived with Reinforcements from Rouen

Awarded 1915 Star (A24)

If I get a chance I'll stroll around to Summers St and get a photo of the family home

Grant

Grant - You are a star!

I am trying to put something together on all of the men of mine and my wifes families who served in the Great War. Eleven men served and with great fortune 9 returned. Charles was the last one I had to track dowm.

Thanks you so much

Kind Regards

Merve

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;#entry1105182

Hi Grant...just wondered if you could help me with any details from the medal card on John Ferris as shown on the page linked above.

Abit cheeky and no hurry..ime speaking to the secretary of Bitterne British Legion with a view to getting more details about him and his family(and mine!)..any extra you could get for me as a result of the Medal card would be great.

Sorry Mr G about nose diving in...i am still actively looking for any after war history regarding Mr Goddard.