Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th,9th,10th,15th Bns Royal Irish Rifles

palicus

Hi Stephen.

Unfortunately, your original post seems to have disappeared. I suspect though that the wounded dates that you have were the dates of the casualty list, rather than the actual date of the wounds themselves. It commonly took several weeks between the incident and the publication. That might explain why the second date (I don't recall precisely when it was) was after his leaving theatre date shown on his medal roll record. If you find the casualty list itself rather than just the FWR transcript, it will probably have other men from his regiment also listed. With a bit of luck some of them may have surviving papers which you could go through to see if there is a commonality of wound dates, from which an inference may be made for Jack. Hopefully you'd then be able to cross check with the battalion war diary to see if it gives you anything about the possible circumstances surrounding his wounding.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks Chris , good advice. I had presumed that the date referred to the date of the injury. The 2 dates I have are 18th December 1917 and 23rd February 1918. There is reference to War Office Daily List ( 5445 for 1st injury and 5500 for the second)   , do you know what this is ?

Hi,

12 hours ago, stephen moore said:

There is reference to War Office Daily List ( 5445 for 1st injury and 5500 for the second)   , do you know what this is ?

Here's part of the first one...

image.png.7d720f6b2c175f0bef7cff7cee789282.png

image.png.f10a5033ccb24ec3f31af7a27a76ccaa.png

image.png.00d708675ce48bc8be04f5eafaada6c5.png

The FMP link is here.

9726 Byrne does have some papers, He appears to have received a head wound, but the date is unclear. He was back home on 2.12.1917, so presumably he was wounded at some time prior to that. He may well have received treatment in France though before returning to the UK, which would push his date of wounding back. Unfortunately, the others shown don't appear to have surviving files which might have helped. I think that I'd be tempted to look at the casualty lists that bracket the one for 18.12.1917, and repeat the exercise. For example the daily list for 20.12.1917 show these men as wounded:

image.png.e49c45c275822768593cfd3495f067bf.png

All images sourced from Findmypast

Findmypast doesn't appear to have the lists for February 1918. I believe that other sites such as The Genealogist may have a full run.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from a visit to the battlefields of WW1. I found it a very moving experience. The numbers , the destruction and the carnage are breathtaking. The character of all those who fought is amazing . It will take me a while to fully process my visit. Thank you for providing such rich information, it has really made a significant difference to my understanding and appreciation of the individual stories and history . I would want to pay tribute to the staff who maintain the cemetery’s, they are maintained to such an incredible standard. I had the privilege to leave a number of remembrance cross’s including on the gravestone of a relative at Ration Farm annexe and at the memorial panel of another relative in Pozières. The information on this website has been invaluable. Thank you for your commitment and for sharing your knowledge.

• 5 months later...
On 28/02/2019 at 01:31, andreaml said:

Robert did you ever find a photo of the RIR 8th Battalion's officers?  I am searching for any photos of the 8th looking for my Great Grandfather Samuel Moore.  Thanks for any info, Andrea

Hello Andrea,

Unfortunately not. I do however a photo of all the officers from the Ulster Division from a facebook group. I can send this to you via email if you wish? If a relative of yours was an officer in the 8th RIR then there's a very high chance he will be in the photo.

Do let me know if you would like this.

Best wishes,

Robert