Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace Valentine Sidney Davis

dobbin

The info I have mainly from a copy of his medal index card:

HORACE VALENTINE SIDNEY DAVIS

PRIVATE S / 29989 (really looks like an 'S' for service but may be an '8'.)

RIFLE BRIGADE

DOB: 1879 (all I have)

ADDRESS 1911 CENSUS: 60 ELDERFIELD ROAD CLAPTON

AT SOME LATER TIME MOVED TO: 31 TREHURST ST HACKNEY

Medal Roll Page

VICTORY M / 102 B / 26 3359

BRITISH this just dittos the above I think.

Could anyone help me please and direct me to the Battalion this man served. He survived the war Colin

Colin,

11th Battalion Rifle Brigade.

Andy

post-1871-1232375261.jpg

Colin

59 Brigade of 20 Division.

War Diary WO95/2116 and runs from Jul 1915 to May 1919.

Sotonmate

There is no mention of him, that I can find, at present in the diary.

Andy

Andy and Soto as ever so quick off the mark, with that information I can proceed. Would either of you have any or some of those war dairies that you might be able to let me have I would be most grateful. Thank you both very much for your help Colin

Andy and Soto I have been looking up the movements of the 20Div but I cant see any mention of them after The Battle of Pozieres 26/27 March 1918. I believe they were in most likely Flanders until Armistice do you have any idea please of their movements after that Thanks Colin

Colin,

The 11th Rifle Brigade war diary goes up to May 1919 and covers something like 125 downloads at the National Archives. Your man did not go into the Army until early 1916 by his number. Is there any particular time that you need.

Andy

Colin,

The 11th Rifle Brigade war diary goes up to May 1919 and covers something like 125 downloads at the National Archives. Your man did not go into the Army until early 1916 by his number. Is there any particular time that you need.

Andy

Thanks Andy I have been tracing the movements of the 20th Div and I can see that they did not arrive in France by the looks of it until July 1915. Its handy that you told me that his number says he didnt get into the army until 1916 so that narrows things down a bit. I arrived at this search because a fellow WFA friend new to all this asked me to help him so I suppose at the end of the day curiosity killed the cat he is going to try to look at the lot as it is his grandad who as you may have deduced survived the war. We are both on our way to France in April to look at my various family members so I suggested it might make life more interesting for him if I didnt hog the proceedings. He now having got a taster from the results of my posting and you guys replies which after I passed on he is now champing at the bit. I am not sure which of the various battles the 11th were engaged in they seemed to have started off in Mount Sorrel then to the Somme on 1st July. What would you suggest sending me, (assuming thats what you were going to offer of course)as I want to give us both something interesting to get our teeth into and prepare for the visit ie reading and maps etc? I notice that there are 49 Docs you can download from NA so for me I would be guided by you as to how I might start on this one as it looks like it could be a costly excercise Many Thanks Colin

Colin,

Drop me a pm with your e-mail address and and I will see what we can do to help you for your forthcoming trip. The 11th's diary is yet another diary that has been placed on-line by the Archives that is not complete although better than some I could mention. A couple of months ago I found 89 pages of casualty returns for 1917 quite by accident in a completely different regiments diary.

Andy