The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd DCVR

dimwitt

Dear all,

I have in my possession a brass matchbox cover engraved on one side with the Royal coat of arms and "Good luck from Mother" and on the other a cartouche decorated with a bugler and shamrock, thistle and rose motiefs with the "Great European War 1914" and the "J. Crawford, No.395 D Company 3rd DCVR".

I have been unable to identify what the initials DCVR stand for (though I have a thought it might be something like Durham County Volunteer Reserve as this side of the family came from County Durham). I have a facsimile of the Territorial Yearbook for 1909 but can find no reference to a DCVR.

Does anyone out there know what the initials stand for and are they able to provide any more information about the unit?

Thanks,

Johnny

Johnny

There are 291 hits on the service number 395 in the Medal Card Indexes (WO372) at Kew !

There is only one CRAWFORD in all those,a Robert Crawford 16/395 Royal Irish Rifles,so that doesn't seem to be the one you seek.

There are a couple of hundred J CRAWFORD (with varying initials,single J,J something else,and something else J !) None of them have an apparent service number of 395,that is not to say that there isn't one because you would have to open each entry on the list to see if there was more than one unit in his service time,and you MIGHT find that,but it seems to me that this would have probably been the first number shown and thus would be on the header entry. You must also bear inmind that he might not have entered a theatre of war and thus wouldn't be in the Medal card Index in the first place.

Being, in a way, an optimist I also looked in the War Graves site. I hasten to add that I didn't really want to find him there,but we look anyway. No Crawfords with a 395 number,but again he might have changed Regiments and also numbers,there were 90 entries there.

I can't help with the unit initials. I did look for the Yeomanry and Territorial units in the Long Long Trail but the page is under reconstruction and the unit list isn't there currently.

You might have to dig for a few more details ! Much like I just did !

Sotonmate

I did look for the Yeomanry and Territorial units in the Long Long Trail

There is no single page for that. They are listed under each regiment.

DCVR ... not heard of it ... Duke of Cornwall's, perhaps?

Johnny,

I would profer Durham City Volunteer Regiment , as locally LVR was the Leicester Volunteer Regiment. The VTC became ___ Volunteer Regiments before their final incarnation as the Volunter Battalions of the County Regiments (or non-existent County Regiments in the case of Rutland, as I understand it.)

Dave