Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Emergency Rations

mark holden

I wonder if any pals have examples of the tinned 'Emergency Ration'(Field Service)' that they might be prepared to show pictures of? I am particularly interested in the labels that were affixed to the tin.

Many thanks

Mark

This is the best image I can load onto the forum. If you like I can try to email you with some better images. Unfortunately the label is in poor condition

post-6040-1232360914.jpg

I wonder if any pals have examples of the tinned 'Emergency Ration'(Field Service)' that they might be prepared to show pictures of? I am particularly interested in the labels that were affixed to the tin.

Many thanks

Mark

mark this may not be what you are looking for but its a bit of interest, I got this in a Christmas tin and thought it looked authentic enough, its a biscuit which has written on it on one side "An army biscuit supplied to HLI 32nd Div during manueuvers 19th to 21st October 1915"

on the other side it has " an army marches on its stomach The food of the Gods "

regards

max

mark this may not be what you are looking for but its a bit of interest, I got this in a Christmas tin and thought it looked authentic enough, its a biscuit which has written on it on one side "An army biscuit supplied to HLI 32nd Div during manueuvers 19th to 21st October 1915"

on the other side it has " an army marches on its stomach The food of the Gods "

regards

max

post-3477-1232361621.jpg

Mark

Mark there was also the earlier version on ebay, Item number: 350148868490

And as Terry Pratchet said about something similar "still as inedible as on the day it was baked"

And as Terry Pratchet said about something similar "still as inedible as on the day it was baked"

Finally something I know about!

Dwarf fighting bread.

You will allways find some left in your pack-it lasts forever!

regards,Paul.

Many thanks to all who replied. Mark

Cast resin replicas with the labels available in the link below if of any use?

http://www.tommyspackfillers.com/showitem.asp?itemRef=CR009

I was wondering if the pattern or style of tin changed between 1900-1914, the cast re4sin available from Tommyspackfillers seems more oval in shape than the ones shown in the posts?

thanks again Mark

Not sure if they changed at all before the war. This one looks to have had a blue colour at one time.

Time for bed Andrew, See post 7 ;) , Cheers, Paul.

Oops, missed that, hate it when other people do it too :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
"An army biscuit supplied to HLI 32nd Div during manueuvers 19th to 21st October 1915"

There are several threads on Army & Naval ' hard tack' spread around the forum.

Oops slightly out of sequence. The blue cylindrical tin is an earlier example dated April 1902.

Close up of the label on the blue tin.

post-7141-1233603381.jpg

The red one is the 'oval' type on which the repro is based.

Regards

Tocemma

Thanks very much - just what I was after. Mark

Close up of label

post-7141-1233603022.jpg

post-7141-1233603168.jpg