Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Colgan- Seaforth Highlanders

L1AVERY

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with an detail on my Great Uncle, Thomas Colgan who served with the Seaforth Highlanders.

The information below is from Ballymena 1914-1918:

http://www.freewebs.com/snake43/index.htm

Colg%20son.jpg

Private Thomas Colgan

COLGAN, Thomas (jnr.) 4291, Private, 1/5 Seaforth Highlanders. DOW from wounds received on July 30, 1916. Buried Daours Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme. Aged 19, son of Thomas (above) and Catherine of Galgorm Street, Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer August 11, 1916 - MRS. Colgan, Galgorm Street, Ballymena, has been officially notified that her son, Pte. Thomas Colgan, Seaforth Highlanders, has died from wounds received in action, in No.45 Casualty Clearing Station, France. Information to this effect was also received from the Rev. S. Hamill Wilkinson, Chaplain to the forces, who stated that he was unable to talk with the deceased as he passed away shortly after being admitted to hospital. Rev. Wilkinson said he was all the more sorry for he himself was a native of Co. Antrim and used to go to school in Ballymena. Private Colgan enlisted in May 1915 and he was at the front since November 1915. His father, Rifleman Thomas Colgan, is serving at the front with the Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division)

The same webiste records that he was one of three recruits to the Royal Scots in May 1915:

Royal Scots - Hugh McClurkin, Galgorm Street; William John Wilson, James Street; Thomas Colgan, Galgorm Street (actually Seaforths).

I suspect they may have been friends (Hugh McClurkin is also from Galgorm St) and would also be interested to hear of information about the two others.

Many Thanks,

Laura.

Anyone able to do ancestry on this query? MIC if possible?

Des

http://www.snwm.org/website/frames.html

Go to link above - scroll down and click on 'search world war one' - key in Colgan, Thomas ... if you ever visit Ediburgh Castle you will be able to see his name on the record books which are at the National War memorial .. a very emotional experience even at a distance of time and space.

And when you do key in his name, the result may be a clue as to why the old newspaper got his regiment wrong at first when they printed he was recruited in Royal Scots.. I wonder!

Name: WILSON

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Service No: 265968

Additional information: Son of John and Elizabeth Wilson, of 14, James St., Lossiemouth Morayshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. D. 50.

Cemetery: HIGHLAND CEMETERY, ROCLINCOURT

I cant get this MIC to upload it says the file is to large even though it isnt according to my pc

From the PRONI Ulster Covenant website ... dunno if this is Snr, or Jnr's signature ...

post-1582-1232378348.jpg

Skipman and Azureus - thanks for your help .. top class job on MICs. However. I think the W J Wilson mentioned originally survived the war.

Interesting - the boys from Galgorm Street must have fancied the kilt! See below ... William was my grand-uncle .. the family later lived in Warden Street in the ex-servicemen's houses.

I seem to recall that the Seaforths had a recruiting office in Belfast at one time, scooping up a fair few punters. I wonder if your man, Thomas Jnr., was working in Belfast at the time too?

Mrs. William Thompson, Galgorm Street, Ballymena, has been notified that her husband, Pte. William Thompson, Seaforth Highlanders, was wounded on March 21st and has lost his left leg. He is at present in Netley Hospital, Hants. Prior to enlistment he was employed by Messrs. Sinclair’s, Belfast. He has four brothers serving with the colours, two of them being prisoners in Germany.

• 4 years later...
Guest Jackie Millar

Good Evening

I have been trying to trace my Great Grandfather's military history for my Mother and I have noticed that there has been some mention of him here he is Thomas Colgan 18439 R/Scots all we know at present is that he was KIA in the Battle of Loos around the 26th of September 1915. We are hoping to visit his war grave this year being the 100th anniversary and would be grateful if anyone can forward any other information to us regarding him.

If you require my email address to forward any information please let me know.

Thank You In Advance.

Jackie Millar

Service Not Self