Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Frederick Milner 11th Bn KRRC died 18/01/1918

Guest neergydna

Guest neergydna

Rifleman Frederick Milner 11th Bn KRRC died of wounds 18/01/1918 was my great uncle. He is buried in Lijssenthoek Cemetery. Where were his battalion fighting about that time?

Andy

Welcome to the Forum !

At the end of 3rd Ypres Oct 1917 11 KRRC were in the vicinity of Poelcapelle,according to a book I have. I doubt whether they moved far from that zone as his burial at Lijssenthoek was almost certainly due to death from wounds received,as that area,west of Ypres and close to Poperinghe,was the site of several Casualty Clearing Stations for the Ypres theatre,and the dead from those were buried at Lijssenthoek.

I will give you the 11 KRRC War Diary reference at Kew,in case you want to chase up the early Jan 1918 activities of the Bn. WO95/2115. It will in any case be difficult to detect when he was wounded as ORs were rarely named in the Diaries and you might get a series of entries over consecutive days,showing,say,5ORs wounded etc. Not knowing which day he was wounded, but at least you can find where they were based.

Sotonmate

Remembered with honour.