Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRANT TOWN

bobshaw

To all Pals,

Has any one heard of a Rest or Billet area called GRANT TOWN, I have a feeling it may be in the vicinity of "GROVE TOWN" south of the town of ALBERT. A map or place/trench reference would be appreciated.

Bob

Bob

Do you have a unit in mind for this position ? If so,it will likely be mentioned in their War Diary and you should be able to place it more accurately,particularly if it is a set of co-ordinates. I just looked in a book with Somme battle maps in it but you are probably talking billets out of the battle zone,which is why I can't find it !

Sotonmate

Bob

Do you have a unit in mind for this position ? If so,it will likely be mentioned in their War Diary and you should be able to place it more accurately,particularly if it is a set of co-ordinates. I just looked in a book with Somme battle maps in it but you are probably talking billets out of the battle zone,which is why I can't find it !

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate,

Thanks for your reply, the unit I am researching is the 1st Bn South Staffs Reg, I have a copy of their War Diary. On the 1st Jun 1916 it only states:

"Enemy attempted to Bomb our trenches during the night, but their bombs fell short and we retaliated on their craters. Enemy activity was normal during the morning. Battalion was relieved by the 2nd Bn Queens Regiment at 3.00 p.m. and proceeded to shelters in GRANT TOWN. Casualties Nil"

on the 7th Jun the S.Staffs went back and relieved the 2nd Queens in B.2 Sub-sector, prior to this they were in the trenches south of Mametz (25 May 1916).

Other dates:

16th Jun 1916 moved to GROVE TOWN.

20th Jun 1916 moved from Billets in MERRICOURT to BOISE DES TAILLES

22nd Jun 1916 moved from BOISE DES TAILLES to GRANT TOWN and were joined by C & D Coys from GROVE TOWN.

I seem to have the area depending how far they had to march, but not the location, no map references are given.

So keep on looking, maybe someone will come up with an answer.

Regard.

Bob

Edited by Shawrybob