Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos from Arras. Despatch riders

thorn

I have photos of the following people who served with my grandfather Kenneth McBryde in the 56th (London) division in Arras about 1916/1917. I would like to be able to reunite these photos with their families.In some cases the adress is visible on the back of the photo

Frank Edward COOK killed Arras 1917 (Albert St, Colchester)

Hubert Alfred JOHNSON killed over Arras 1917 after taking commission in RAF (Bowes Park, London)

C A ***** "Bert"

G E J ARCHER "George"

Charles W PETERS (Surrey)

Plus three group photos taken in Habarcq and Estairs.

Here is a link to the photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/lizzie880/Arra...feat=directlink

Elisabeth Thorn.

Fantastic photos, i'm very interested in the work of despatch riders, and a friend of mine has a WW1 despatch riders motorcycle and knows where to find the history of what the owner did in the war etc. The three photos showing despatch riders and their machines show Triumph model H motorcycles, and the group photo seems to show them all with Trummy's as well.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing those photos, needless to say I have an interest in motorbikes !. The CWGC site has Corporal Frank Edward Cook, service no.558158, 56th Division Signal Coy, killed on 17/6/17. The son of J & L. M. Cook, of 73 Manston Terrace, Albert Street, Colchester. The family address in 1917 of course, but a starting point for tracing any descendants.

Thanks for sharing those photos, needless to say I have an interest in motorbikes !. The CWGC site has Corporal Frank Edward Cook, service no.558158, 56th Division Signal Coy, killed on 17/6/17. The son of J & L. M. Cook, of 73 Manston Terrace, Albert Street, Colchester. The family address in 1917 of course, but a starting point for tracing any descendants.

Thank you, Hubert Johnson is also on the CWGC site.

Fantastic pictures, its amazing seeing somebody over 90 years ago staring you in the eyes . . .

Terrific photos, Elisabeth!

Welcome to the forum.

I think these are your men:

26081 WO2 George Edward Joseph ARCHER (his Service Record is on Ancestry!), born Aldershot c.1877, enlisted in Gibralter 1891 age 14.

547952 Pte Charles W PETERS (ex 9494 in 1/5 Londons, later 300107 Londons)

558158 Cpl Frank Edward COOK (ex 1530 RE). CWGC give parents as J. and L. M. Cook, of 73, Manston Terrace, Albert St., Colchester.

558306 Cpl Charles A[lbert?] PRICE (not PR*censored*! :), ex 1840 RE)

2/Lt Hubert Alfred JOHNSON, RFC, (ex 2002 and 558370 RE, commissioned 24/11/16). Medal card & CWGC give father's address as A.Johnson, 17 Lascott Rd, Bowes Park, N22.

The 558??? Royal Engineers numbers are all fairly close together, and close to your grandad's number (558351 Cpl Kenneth McBRYDE, ex 2249 14/Londons). So probably all in the same intake at dispatch-rider school!

As an example of what we can find out about these men, I've tried to trace Frank Cook's family through the census and BMDs.

His family in 1901:

73 Albert St, Colchester (it's lucky for us that they didn't move house between 1901 and 1917!)

COOK John, Head, 33, Journeyman Baker, born Ipswich, Suffolk

COOK Louisa M, Wife, 32, born ?Nid, Essex

COOK Frank E, Son, 8 (Frank Edward, b Q4 1892)

COOK Maude B, Dau, 6 (Maud Beatrice, b Q3 1894, prob. married Frederick F BAILEY in Colchester Q3 1919)

COOK Alice H, Dau, 5 (Alice Hilda, b Q1 1896, several possible marriages, but no way of telling which is her!)

COOK Lily D, Dau, 1 (Lily Doris, b Q1 1900, married John L WELLS in Colchester Q4 1924)

All children born in Colchester.

Possible children of Maud & Frederick:

Hector F BAILEY, born Colchester Q2 1920 (Hector Frank, b 29/5/20, died Colchester March 1986)

Audrey J BAILEY, born Colchester Q3 1923 (Audrey Jean, b 11/8/23, died Colchester August 2004, never married?)

Kenneth A BAILEY, born Colchester Q3 1927 (Kenneth Albert, b 21/6/27, died Colchester May 1994)

Possible child of Lily & John:

Keith L WELLS, born Colchester Q3 1925

So Frank's nephews and niece were still in Colchester up to a few years ago. It would probably be possible to follow Hector, Kenneth & Keith through the BMD records to see whether/whom/when they married, and if they had any children, but that would be quite time-consuming as the records aren't transcribed yet.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

Fascinating pics and stories. Why not contact the local papers to attempt to find the families of these men. I live near Colchester and I know that our local press often have old photos with requests for info or contact. For your Colchester man you could try the evening Gazette at www.gazette-news.co.uk or East Anglian Daily Times www.eadt.co.uk.

Regards

Adrian

• 6 years later...

I was amazed to see these photos particularly the one of Frank Cook. I have been doing some family research recently and can confirm that Frank Edward Cook killed in Arras in June 1917 was my great uncle. The family did live in Albert Street, Colchester. I am the grand daughter of Maud Beatrice, his sister. I have just returned from France and was able to visit his grave in the Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun.

Superb photos, thank you for posting.