The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major A.F. Hollingworth MC and Bar, C de G

Roger H

First, can I say that you will see that this is my first post, so apologies in advance for any breach of etiquette etc! Having recently retired early, I have decided to do some family research in respect of the First World War and have started with my maternal Grandfather - Major Arthur Frankland Hollingworth (often incorrectly spelt HollingSworth in various records - including the Supplement to the London Gazette) of B/311th (W.Riding Brigade) Royal Field Artillery. I have established that he won the MC for action at Messines (Ploegsteert Wood) in April 1917 and a Bar to the MC for action on 15 October 1918 at Flers. The Croix de Guerre appears in the London Gazette on 14 July 1917 but I have not yet been able to establish the date of relevant action. I have details of all three citations. I am trying to find out what was actually going on in April 1917 (and the exact date of the action) and on 15 October 1918. Is my only recourse to the War Diaries of the RFA or is another member able to help? Any other information that anyone can provide would be most gratefully received.

(PS - thanks to this web site for pointing me in the direction of MICs - which I have succesfully obtained)

Roger

Welcome to the forum

It looks like your man has some service records on Ancestry but he's listed under the name of Arthur Frederick Hollingworth.

The service number on his MIC.....1164 appears on these service papers. I am assuming it is the same man.

If you would like them please pm me with your email address and i can send them on to you if you do not already have them. They are not in the best condition but still legible.

Regards Ellie

Edit: There are only 6 pages of records.

Ellie

A public thank you - what prompt service!

Roger

With respect to Ellie, I don't think the man she mentions is the man in question as he appears to be non-commissioned rank. Even if he was commissioned from the ranks, his OR's service record would have been bundled with his officers record. Officers files have not been digitised and therefore not on Ancestry unfortunately.

TR

Terry

Thanks for this, but it is definately the same man. His MIC shows his number as a Bombardier and also shows rank as acting Major. Other records I have obtained show that he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant in November 1915, promoted to Lieutenant in July 1917, acting Captain in November 1917 and acting Major in March 1918. He was granted honary rank of Major when he relinquised his commission.

Which raises another question to the one originally posted - was it common to be keep being promoted on a temporary basis above substantive officer level? Apologies if this is a naive question.

Roger

I have found at least one officer with a WO364 record on Ancestry AND a WO339 file at the NA....

Never say never....

Steve.

with regards to your last point - yes, it was quite common to find a Lt with a t/Capt of even t/Major rank.. commanding a battery, as the war went on, at least among regular officers, (I am mainly familiar with regular artillery units) .. with competant junior officers often regulalrly filling more senior commands at least until a more permanant replacement could be found for casualties ..

and yes, occasional officer records do appear online.. my own grandfathers pension/medical records (he was prewar regular gunner officer) somehow got onto Ancestry Pension records .. I suspect because he was one of the last officers still alive drawing his pension at the end of the 1980s and someone was uncertain what to do with the papers when the file was finally closed..!

Never say never....

I agree, there are many who fall into the trap of being too catagoric. I have found the records to men KIA in WO 364 and have been told this just does not happen or only in a tiny number of cases. There again the UK National Archives maintained that addresses appeared on the back of MICs only in a tiny number of cases...